Digital or Rotary Phase Converters?

I didn't bother going into incidentals like wiring, but you're absolutely correct that it adds up. In my case I have the wiring already place due to the large RPC and existing exterior panel which would make easy work to wire the outdoor idler. But someone starting from scratch should factor it in - opening walls, wiring, 3ph distribution panel, etc...can add up big-time.

Do you know if PP ever runs major sales? The RPC from American was appealing because once a year they have significant discounts on top of S&D/refurb. But by MSRP: you have a point, though I also didn't mention simplicity/reliability...but that's a bit harder to quantify.

While here: couple Q's about PP
  • Any value to the hobbyist for the PP enterprise vs. simple? 7.5hp models. The couple things that caught my eye between the two are regen loads (not applicable unless I have braking added to my lathe) and surge protection.
  • Does the optional on-off switch only disable the 3ph output or does it totally shutoff the PP (ie. no current draw)? I get the sense that its the former; if so, I assume a separate service disconnect would be ideal between the PP and breaker panel? Or do folks just leave PP on?
I have the remote on/off switch for my PTE010 ( 10hp Enterprise ). All it does is open the 3P output contactor. To shut down the entire unit, I have to open the 1P input power. I generally leave it on all the time, and just disable the 3P out with the remote switch when I'm not going to be running anything for a while. I have the Quiet option, and it is darn near silent. As bad as my hearing is, it basically is silent! :) Couldn't be happier with it, or the customer service I've received from the folks at Phase Technologies.

I have the remote on/off switch for my PTE010 ( 10hp Enterprise ). All it does is open the 3P output contactor. To shut down the entire unit, I have to open the 1P input power.
Thanks for confirming; that's what I assumed.

Funny you mention the quiet option: I noticed that on some of the PP but saw no documentation. I went to the site today to double-check: can't find the option any more when building out a unit. :confused 3:

PP states their units are 80dbA? That's pretty loud...I thought they were silent. Significant electronics hum?

I just asked this in GJ, but I’m thinking some people here might have good insights specifically related to the hobby.

So I am going to buy a small 5hp phase converter to run my 1.5hp Bridgeport. I have done some research into American Rotary Phase Converters and they use Baldor motors which I like, have a great warranty, have great customer service, and overall it seems like a very quality product. I’ve spent a long time talking to them and they have been helpful in figuring out what I need. The model I’ve been looking at is the ADX-5.

My father in law does a lot of electrical for his business and he likes the digital phase converters, specifically recommending the 5hp Phase Perfect digital converter.

Does anyone recommend one either way? They are equally priced so longevity and quality are main concerns. Thanks!
I have had both. I prefer the one from US Rotary. It’s easy to hook up serves me well.
you can make your own if you have access to old 3 phase motor.

Thanks for confirming; that's what I assumed.

Funny you mention the quiet option: I noticed that on some of the PP but saw no documentation. I went to the site today to double-check: can't find the option any more when building out a unit. :confused 3:

PP states their units are 80dbA? That's pretty loud...I thought they were silent. Significant electronics hum?
I wonder if they have to rate the sound level when the cooling fan is on? Mine is hardly ever on, but when it is, you can definitely hear it. Though it's not much louder than the VFD's I've used. It has a programmed cycle where the fan kicks on for a few minutes every 30-60 minutes, I suppose. My 5hp lathe, and 5hp mill never work it hard enough to make it kick on otherwise.

Phase Perfect Noise Levels, this is about the same level as the VFD fans, a lot quieter than the electric fan on my mill motor. Older units seemed to have a more hum, I assume it is also more noticeable on the bigger units.

1675216023937.png

I put my motor outside in a custom built doghouse type structure. Quiet enough now I worry about forgetting and leaving it on.

A little concrete pad, a few 2x4's and siding and I moved my motor outside so zero noise.

IMG-0251.jpg

Back