Digital or Rotary Phase Converters?

This is like a Ford Vs. Chevy question and you will get highly opinionated answers on both sides. The real answer is probably "it depends" since there are a lot of variables and no two situations are identical.

When I got my Bridgeport I initially went with a VFD and bought a decent one (Teco) that actually required a couple of phone calls to Wolf Automation and then a bunch of Google searches to find one obscure setting was off. Nobody knew why that could have happened (it was before I started changing things), but I guess things like that happen. After a couple of somewhat annoying days it was working properly, but I didn't like the high-pitched cooling fan whine it made three feet from me, and I didn't want to go through the hassle of rewiring the machine to go with external inputs for forwared/reverse, etc.

I also knew I was going to be adding more 3-phase machines so an RPC would be less expensive overall. I researched RPCs and narrowed it down the American Rotary and North American Phase Converters. Both have similar specs and use Baldor idler motors. The pricing is what made me go with North American....the ADX-5 you're looking at is $850 where the North American Pro-Line 5 is $600. I then decided to go to the PL-7 (7hp) so I would be able to power bigger stuff I might consider. The PL-7 is now $945 (it was a lot cheaper when I bought it). I figured for only $100 more I got 2hp more (40% increase) and it would let me power something with a 5hp motor that starts easily.

VFDs definitely have their place, so I don't discount them. For a single machine or something like a step-pulley lathe or mill they can add a lot of versatility by adding infinite speed control as well as a wider speed range overall. You can add braking functions, ramp up/down, etc....all can be handy for some applications. I would just say for anyone considering a VFD, go with a reputable source and stay away from the $100 things you see on eBay and Amazon...many of those are believed to come from the reject bin at decent suppliers.

I actually ordered my NA RPC off Amazon...they had the best price and with Prime it was free shipping and my wife has the Prime card so she got points and the percentage back on the card, which lowered the overall cost a bit.

How is the longevity of Phase Perfect? That is my main reservation. They only have a two year warranty on their Simple line compared to American Rotarys' lifetime warranty on most parts. When I called Phase Perfect, they weren't very helpful with telling me how long the units were lasting.

My Phase Perfect is about 15 years old now, still giving silent, efficient power. Have to work it hard with a 10 hp motor on the lathe to get the cooling fans to come on. They are annoying when they run, but virtually never come on with the hardinge lathe or the surface grinder.

Greg

I have two of the old blue ones which must be over 15 years old and all is well, even though I don't swap capacitors as I'm supposed to. The new ones are built on a more modular platform so if a board blows you don't need to replace the entire unit ( as is the case with the blue ones ). Given the life of my old ones, I'd not hesitate. I have a 10,20, and 30 hp and although I kept my rpcs I've never used them since. Dave

I made my own rotary,
Many years ago I did the same. Dirt simple, a used 3 phase motor, some big caps and a couple of switches. Your mill will be able to produce nearly full rated power. A cheap VFD gives you variable speed at the cost of less power at slower slower RPMs but for the rare times you need it you can always use the mill's mechanical drive. Electronics are relatively reliable but when they have problems getting them fixed can often come down to getting new ones. Since I'm cheap, I'd just get a used 3hp, 3ph motor and make my own again. (About double the size of the driven motor, might be overkill?) Electrolytic caps do wear out but they last a long time and aren't terrible expensive and are easy to come by. I had used a momentary contact switch to start my old one but you can easily add a timer in the circuit for startup. In Joe Pie's videos you can hear him start the Rotary converter. If the noise bothers you put it someplace else. They aren't different than any other motor for noise.

I'd consider that rotary phase converters are simple for the average person to fix if something goes wrong, I'd think the digital variety would be the opposite situation. Likely the digital variety is quiet, the rotary ones are just plain noisy and somewhat distracting. I made my own rotary, using a 7.5 HP motor, a static phase converter to start it and a bunch of oil filled capacitors; it works well and was cheap to build.

How is the longevity of Phase Perfect? That is my main reservation. They only have a two year warranty on their Simple line compared to American Rotarys' lifetime warranty on most parts. When I called Phase Perfect, they weren't very helpful with telling me how long the units were lasting.
My Phase Perfect has been running like a top for 18 years. Zero complaints or issues.

My Phase Perfect has been running like a top for 18 years. Zero complaints or issues.
If you could interrupt the etheric forces then you have achieved something.
But until that day comes we are slaves to the electric continuum .
.......if it works don't fix it .......
Just thought I put my two cents in.
We are are all in this together .....peace

Back