DIN 55027 Lathe Spindle Mounts

matthewsx

H-M Supporter - Diamond Member
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
I don't see very much about these spindles but I suspect they are more common in the US than most of us think. When I got my Bolton 13x40 I just thought the chuck was bolted on but after doing some research I discovered this international standard that was apparently created by Russians and used by Chinese and possibly Germans.

klauwplaat-bajonet-e1540904723324.jpg

Not understanding what I was looking at I bought a few different chuck adapters in the C2 and C4 sizes, My lathe is a C5.

These are the C2, they have three studs that hold them to the spindle like the PM 1022/1030. I don't know if they would fit since even PM doesn't call them out by the standard.

DSCN1506.JPG

DSCN1504.JPG

DSCN1505.JPG

DSCN1501.JPG

I have three of these and figure if nobody wants them I can eventually bore them out to fit my lathe but I suspect they might fit some of the 10 x import lathes members have. Not planning on making a killing here, just want to pass them along to someone who needs them.

John

Have a package coming from Canada with some A1 back plates which should work with my machine.

Can’t wait to see if I scored or just dropped more money down the hole. Measurements looked right so fingers crossed.

John

I could be wrong but I don't think A1 back plates will work with your spindle. If it's the American short taper that I'm thinking of, those backplates aren't really quick to change. To install them you have to bolt on the adapter to the spindle first, then bolt on the chuck. To remove, reverse order, need to unbolt the chuck from the adapter before you can unbolt the adapter from the spindle.

Unless you plan on modifying them or something?

I could be wrong but I don't think A1 back plates will work with your spindle. If it's the American short taper that I'm thinking of, those backplates aren't really quick to change. To install them you have to bolt on the adapter to the spindle first, then bolt on the chuck. To remove, reverse order, need to unbolt the chuck from the adapter before you can unbolt the adapter from the spindle.

Unless you plan on modifying them or something?
Yep, will definitely have to modify them but the taper fits.
DSCN1508.JPG

And the holes line up so it'll just take some custom parts to make it work.

DSCN1507.JPG

Good thing I have a lathe to make cylindrical thingies :grin:

DSCN1509.JPG

I got a quote on having the right part shipped out from Germany, $618.88. I bought 3 of these for $100/ea, I figured the taper is really the only critical dimension. I'm happy with it....

John

Here’s the thread on my adventure.

I sold the lathe for many reasons but hopefully this will help you.

John

Back