Disassembly and Cleanup of a Sanford SG48 Surface Grinder

Yeah, @Sblack, you called it. There are a lot of 618 type SGs out there (including automatics) that are selling for less than a Sanford.

BUT: The Sanford is cute and easy to find space for. You know I'll be watching this thread!

Not to highjack your thread but there is a very early model on Ebay if anyone is interested. He is asking quite a bit, its missing the column sheetmetal covers and there's no description. The covers are easy enough to make. It has a mag chuck which is really hard to find and the wheel guard is intact. The fact that there's no description is a red flag to me but if someone can go look at it it might be worth it if it was maintained. https://www.ebay.com/itm/Sanford-be...rentrq:fa93fb0c1740aa4852fb3c7dffe738b8|iid:2

He is taking offers...just because he is asking $1500 doesn’t mean you have to offer him that much.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Agreed but I have been watching the bench model Sanford's on Ebay for a long time now and when they do pop-up they sometimes go for $1500 to $2K on Ebay. I could see this guy holding on his price because of the vise and wheel guard if he knows what he's got. Parts for these are ridiculous, more expensive than Atlas shaper parts. The wheel guard is never seen sold by itself. I wish I could find one instead of making mine.
He is taking offers...just because he is asking $1500 doesn’t mean you have to offer him that much.

Agreed but I have been watching the bench model Sanford's on Ebay for a long time now and when they do pop-up they sometimes go for $1500 to $2K on Ebay. I could see this guy holding on his price because of the vise and wheel guard if he knows what he's got. Parts for these are ridiculous, more expensive than Atlas shaper parts. The wheel guard is never seen sold by itself. I wish I could find one instead of making mine.
This will be interesting to see if it sells at that price then. I would be shocked. I got mine for $500 - I never would have considered it if it were north of $1000.

North of a grand? I'll take offers for mine then.

Well if you want or need a surface grinder and have restrictions on power as well as space and will have a hard time getting it in your shop it starts to make a whole lot of sense. Consider the cost to have a larger machine shipped plus the cost of a rigger to get it where you need it plus the cost of running the electric, it makes a whole lof of sense.
This will be interesting to see if it sells at that price then. I would be shocked. I got mine for $500 - I never would have considered it if it were north of $1000.

Well if you want or need a surface grinder and have restrictions on power as well as space and will have a hard time getting it in your shop it starts to make a whole lot of sense. Consider the cost to have a larger machine shipped plus the cost of a rigger to get it where you need it plus the cost of running the electric, it makes a whole lof of sense.

I completely agree. It could definitely make sense to spend over $1000 for a Sanford for the right person. Just pointing out that for myself, I would definitely feel obligated to do the mental gymnastics to figure out the best choice given how ubiquitous 6x12 SG are out there in the wild. Many of them can be picked up for $500 locally and if you have a friend to help load and unload it makes even more sense to go bigger - practically speaking - given hobbyists budgets, frequency of use, etc.

This little Sanford is practical for a hobbyist and IMO just cool as heck. But for the $500 I spent on mine I consider myself just plain lucky and can say that my opinion was definitely bundled with the package price.

@vtcnc in the other SG48 post it was pointed out that your wheel shield had SANDFORD on it. In post #1, picture #4, of this thread, SANDFORD is also cast into the cross table. It is also visible in another picture. You have a curious machine, half SANDFORD, half SANFORD. If this was an early machine, perhaps it was a foundry error? In anycase, it is an amazing machine.

Last edited:
It must have been an error by whoever made the mold, not caught by anyone until they were ready to assemble the machines. That should make it worth even more money, like those double stamped coins and stamps that are worth more because of their rarity! Someone must have been very embarrassed, but not enough to throw away some perfectly good castings.

Sorry I missed the thread when you posted it. Very nice machine - you will have a lot more than 500$ of fun out if it!

Back