Disassembly of Standard Modern 13" Series 2000 Headstock

Jeff1313

Registered
Registered
Hi All,
I've recently picked up a Headstock from a student used SM 13" Series 2000 Lathe. The purpose it to disassemble it completely so I have spare parts for my functional lathe.

It's about 50% disassembled, but have some stubborn parts that won't come out. So, some questions:

1. What's the best way to get the Spindle Roller Bearing Cup out of the casting? Is it press fit in? Do those holes have something to with it, other than lubrication? There's not much of a lip on the interior to hammer on from the inside, so I worry about damaging it.

2. Removal of the upper rear bearing (Intermediate) shaft. The axis lines up with a circular feature at the spindle face.. does this feature come out with some force, so that the shaft can slide out? I've hammered on it a bit, but with no success.

Any insight would be appreciated.

Thanks,
-Jeff

Attachments

• 20210829_182001.jpg
    20210829_182001.jpg
    569.4 KB · Views: 34
  • 20210829_182016.jpg
    20210829_182016.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 30
  • 20210829_182034.jpg
    20210829_182034.jpg
    700.9 KB · Views: 30
  • 20210829_182054.jpg
    20210829_182054.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 30
If you have a welder here is how. Now-a-days you can find most of your question on You Tube.

If not make or buy one of these.

Were you successful with the removal?
I was able to remove the Intermediate shafts. It just took more force than I was originally applying.

I still am not able to remove the the Spindle Roller Bear Cup from the main Casting. I couldn't find that style of tool in the correct size (3"+ Bearing), and it just doesnt seem like there's enough "lip" to grab onto to be able to pull out. I want to avoid doing any welding, as I would like to keep the Cup, and I would like a non-destructive method to use to replace the Bearing in my good lathe.

I'll attempt to make a tool at some point, but the project is on the back burner for now.

Thanks,
-Jeff

This is similar to how I took a pinion bearing out of a vehicle differential gear casing. I used only a stick welder, and it was a very (very!) long time ago, with no hints from YouTube. Having failed to find any way without risking damage, I decided to weld a couple or three lumps onto the trashed bearing cup that would "stick out" enough to be hit with a chisel from the other side. I did not have enough stuff around to contrive a bolt, or all-thread lash-up to act as a puller.

I so messed up on the blotchy welds that I just kept on trying, and I ended up welding all the way around, so as to be able to hit from all sides. When I turned the axle casing over, to have a go with the chisel, I did not need to. The bearing cup just dropped out all by itself. The cooling weld metal pulls with enormous forces, and shrinks the bearing.

Thinking to keep going in this way, I put the new bearing cup in the freezer, and I heated up the casing by the bearing until a bit hot(ish) to the touch, but nothing extreme. The new one just tapped in. I used a block of wood, and hit the other end, so as not to hurt anything.

This trick really works!

Brass punch easy done all the time if no room for a slide hammer with a expandable head. Just don’t bang up the casting. Keep jumping 180* from the last hit.

You try some freeze spray to freeze the cup it will shrink hopefully enough to pull the cup out without damage
Might be hard to find in Sudbury but check Staples. Or take a can of butane lighter fluid, turn it upside down that way the liquid will come out and its pretty damn cold. It should shrink the cup.
Also available at Amazon

Last edited:
Thanks for all of the suggestions. I'll try a few things eventually and post the results.

Back