[How do I?] Dismantle A Keyed Supreme Drill Chuck?

mattthemuppet2

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I got one of these in a garage sale a while back and it looks in good condition other than the sticky movement. I've had it soaking in penetrating oil for a few months and it's freed up a bit but not completely. How do i press the sleeve off? I read somewhere a while ago that they press off the opposite to Jacobs chucks (of which I've rebuilt several and screwed one up) but I've no idea. I've tried a light press both ways - trying to push the sleeve off the front of the chuck (Jacobs way), trying to push it off the back - with nary a budge either way. Jaws are mostly out.

Any ideas? It's too nice a chuck to risk screwing it up and it would come in useful for some project or other.

If it is like a Albecht keyless chuck, Tom Lipton, Ox Tools did a video on rebuilding one.

thanks Techie - I found someone on another site who has disassembled one and it's way trickier than you'd expect. The outer ring gear (the bit the chuck key gears to) is split and separate from the sleeve, so you have to push the sleeve off of that with a very precisely bored ring. It may take me a while to get to, but I'll add pics when I do.

If you can, post a few pictures of it. I'd like to see what if different about it.

unfortunately it's in the scrap bin as it broke when i was pushing it apart. it either jammed or cocked and the back where the socket was pressing was pushed into the chuck body. pretty bummed about it but I'll stick with Jacobs (or working chucks) in future. I'll copy over some of the other posters pictures when i get on my laptop.

I have two Supreme chucks, a 23T3 and a B14t33, and thankfully they are both in nice condition. They are high quality chucks, smooth and accurate. The two I have each have different construction, and appear to require different disassembly. If you see a decent one for sale, pick it up!

yeah, they're definitely highly regarded, which was why I was so pleased to find this one and so bummed that I broke it. Oh well, live'n'learn. I certainly need to get myself an arbor press one day as it's really easy to break stuff on a hydraulic press.

"Precision Chuck"
"very precisely bored ring. It may take me a while to get to, but I'll add pics when I do".
A socket?

Back