[How do I?] Dismantle A Keyed Supreme Drill Chuck?

alright, just in case there's an Annual Dumbass of The Year award, I'd like to put myself forward for nomination. In yet another example of why I shouldn't do new things at night and when I'm tired, I didn't think to check the depth of the hole in that die and you know what, there's a nice impression of the nose of the chuck on the end of it. What a muppet. Hacksawed off a piece of pipe the right ID, faced both ends on the lathe and the sleeve popped right off the chuck, almost could have done it with a dead blow hammer.

On the plus side, I didn't screw anything up that wasn't worth screwing up - 2 out of 3 of the jaws had almost completely stripped teeth and the inside of the ring gears was properly chewed up by all those bits of metal floating around. No idea what the previous owner did to it, but he didn't treat it kindly, that's for sure.

Ahhh-- know it well myself, The end Lesson,count me as a multiple winner of the DA

Been there, done that, can still taste it! I was reassembling a little Victorian swinger alarm clock for a customer and wondering why I couldn't get the back all the way on. I'm thinking "gee, it's almost as if I have the beautiful bevelled crystal in backwards and it's pushing against the pivots for the hands.... nah, couldn't be that..."

Guess what?
Can still hear the sound of it snapping to this day....

-frank

yep, and to top it off, I forgot that my lathe had shifted sideways a little bit when I was test fitting the carriage last night, so when I switched it on to face the tube the treadmill motor (fixed to the bench) instantly ate it's cooling fan and shroud. And this stuff is supposed to be RELAXING!

Back