Display for Decorative Ceramics

rwm

Robert
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
This was "commissioned" to display decorative ceramics.

1670884636282.png
1670884654088.png

1670884681366.png

1670884699585.png

1670884721187.png

I have a question about painting this. It is too large to sandblast the entire thing. Should I uses primer? Self etching primer?
Semi gloss black is the color choice.

Very nice!

Powder coat? It will cost more, but I've found for decorative stuff it's more durable.

Regards

+1 on the powder coat but I've had really good luck with spraying water based Tremclad on metal garden fencing that I built.

Tremclad is Canadian but I think "Rust Reformer" is the comparable US product. I thought about powder coat but since this will be indoors, I think rattle can makes more (financial) sense. I usually do not use primer; I was wondering if anyone had a strong opinion on primers?

Tremclad is Canadian but I think "Rust Reformer" is the comparable US product. I thought about powder coat but since this will be indoors, I think rattle can makes more (financial) sense. I usually do not use primer; I was wondering if anyone had a strong opinion on primers?
Not sure about Rust-o-leum but Tremclad is a no-primer paint.

Tremclad is made by Rust-o-leum and apparently not sold in the US. I could buy it online in Canada but it will be delayed in shipping. Yeah, I guess rust reformer is really just primer. I am not sure what the US equivalent is?

I always use Rust-o-leum red primer on the farm equipment. It makes a big difference on how long the final top coat of paint lasts. Was really impressed with the durability of the powder coat finish on the shaker. It is holding up where regular paint would be bare metal by now.

Reactions: rwm
Robert,

Jeff.64 has this interesting post. Totally off-topic from your project, but at about 15:30 on this entertaining video, he illustrates a paint that might be appropriate for your project.

Regards

Correction: Make that at about 15 minutes.

So I ended up buying green self etching automotive primer. I put Rustoleum semigloss black over that.

1671027315724.png

It looks great! Time will tell if the primer will help with adhesion. If not, off to the powder coater...

Back