Ditron DRO

mf294-4

Active User
Registered
Just got a D80-3v DRO. Manual says it will do rpm but a chart shows that is an option? Anyone done RPM?

You have to order the readout with the rpm option.

I have been considering that exact DRO... well the 4 axis version for my mill so I can read off the quill and knee.

I came across a video (on aliexpress or alibabi I think) where they were demostrating the RPM functionality using an inductance sensor (If I remember properly) to get the RPM off the spindle. It looked like the RPM would just pop up under the coordinates when it was configured to do so. Since the screen is LCD based I do not believe the hardware changes at all... just the sensor added.

Please post your results with the D80-3v!!! I would really like your feedback. My concern is how easy the LCD display is to read vs a standard 7 segment LED display.

Easy way to find out would be if there is a option for RPM in the menu. If not then there is most likely a software difference.
As far as the reading of the screen, I have no issues as the brightness can be adjusted and there are 4 options for background/text color
White with black text
Black with white text
White with blue text
Green with white text

I have both of mine set on black

Attachments

• 15584701725387249372333911149329.jpg
    15584701725387249372333911149329.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 36
I just ordered a D80 configured for 4-axis with slim magnetic scales. Cost just under $700 shipped. I went direct through alibaba, which is actually a pleasure to use. The few experiences I have with ordering stuff from alibaba (not express) in the $500-$1000 range has been good, so I was comfortable with that part. I just gotta wait for the shipping...

I just ordered a D80 configured for 4-axis with slim magnetic scales. Cost just under $700 shipped. I went direct through alibaba, which is actually a pleasure to use. The few experiences I have with ordering stuff from alibaba (not express) in the $500-$1000 range has been good, so I was comfortable with that part. I just gotta wait for the shipping...

The 4 axis D80 with RPM is on my list when I can afford one. May I inquire:
1) Why Alibaba and not Aliexpress? I actually thought they were pretty much the same thing? Alibaba for large whole sale lots and AliExpress for one-sies, two-sies.
2) Which scales did you go with? Glass or Magnetic? Precision?
3) Did you buy everything all together from the same vendor? The last I looked I think I found the 4 axis with different options for scales but couldn't find 4 axis + RPM with different options for scales. Being new to DRO I couldn't figure out which scale was compatible with which D80 version.
4) What size mill will it be going on?
5) Would you mind posting a link to the supplier you went with?

Last edited:
My D80 has a menu option for RPM but does not have a sensor connector. So no.

I purchased mine from Ditron on Ali Express. I contacted them with what display and scales I needed. They provided a price along with a link to buy. They will make the scales to any length that you need so they fit your machine. Took about 2 weeks to receive them after ordering.

The 4 axis D80 with RPM is on my list when I can afford one. May I inquire:
1) Why Alibaba and not Aliexpress? I actually thought they were pretty much the same thing? Alibaba for large whole sale lots and AliExpress for one-sies, two-sies.
2) Which scales did you go with? Glass or Magnetic? Precision?
3) Did you buy everything all together from the same vendor? The last I looked I think I found the 4 axis with different options for scales but couldn't find 4 axis + RPM with different options for scales. Being new to DRO I couldn't figure out which scale was compatible with which D80 version.
4) What size mill will it be going on?
5) Would you mind posting a link to the supplier you went with?

1. Alibaba has a really nice communication module for chat with the manufacturer. I wanted to be sure I was getting the scales and specs I need, and have a record of the transaction. I also got a better price by about 30%. This is my third purchase from Alibaba. The other two went smooth as can be, and I was happy with what I got and what I paid.
2. Magnetic, mainly for size but also for resistance to chips.
3. Everything came from the same vendor. If you ask, they will bend over backwards to accommodate.
4. This is going on a big Lagun FTV-3. 16x36 travel, 11x58 table.
5. I bought from Chengdu Ditron, the manufacturer of the Ditron D80. All of the research I could manage from this side of the bamboo curtain indicated that they are indeed the makers of this DRO head.

Back