Dividing head identification help

Lo-Fi

H-M Supporter - Silver Member
H-M Supporter - Silver Member
Hi

First post after introducing myself in the new members section.

I'm looking for a little help identifying a dividing head I recently purchased. It has no identifying markings on it, I've run just about every image search I can looking for something similar, but come up empty.

Key points are:

Universal (if direct spiral cut drive removed)
<Edit:>40:1 ratio
4" centre height
Tangs in the bottom fit the Bridgeport table like a glove
Drives for direct or indexed spiral cutting
Angle locks are on the top facing horizontal, not at the rear like most Victorias
Handles are metal
Index plate lock is internal, not on the outside of the plate

It was an ebay "that looks worth a punt" affair, and I'm really pleased with it. However, it's missing the gears for helical cutting, and I'd like to know a little more about it and possibly see if I can find a manual somewhere.

Any clues would be most welcome! It doesn't look too dissimilar to some Cincinnati models, but I can't find a direct match. Just knowing the manufacturer would be a huge help.

Many thanks if you can help!

Attachments

• 2019-12-22 22.19.41.jpg
    2019-12-22 22.19.41.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 35
  • 2019-12-22 22.19.37.jpg
    2019-12-22 22.19.37.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 34
  • 2019-12-22 22.19.30.jpg
    2019-12-22 22.19.30.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 36
  • 2019-12-22 22.19.27.jpg
    2019-12-22 22.19.27.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 35
  • 2019-12-22 22.19.19.jpg
    2019-12-22 22.19.19.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 35
Last edited:
It looks heavy and very well made.
My first thought was Cincinnati too, but I don't have an answer for you.

However I do have some questions........
Is that long spindle out the back removable?
Can the chuck be positioned vertically?

-brino

Thanks, I'm dead chuffed with it :)

I'm sure that spindle is removable, though I haven't yet figured out quite how. There's a pin spanner nut I'll have to make a spanner to fit. Just another job on the list!

The head can be moved and is graduated to over 90 degrees, so provided the spindle can be removed I'm sure it can be positioned vertically.

Well that's embarrassing... Its 40:1, not 60:1
I was assuming that the graduation marks on the spindle were tens of degrees... They're 24ths.

So it's 40:1

Anyway, I knocked up a pin spanner and set about trying to remove the rear spindle drive. No dice. I've removed the nut on the end and the gear, but the pin drive nut comes to a hard stop against the spindle. I've tried a few light taps, but nothing is budging.

There's a C spanner nut on the inside behind the worm gear which I've tried loosening, but it doesn't seem to get me very far either.

How would one normally removed a rear spindle on any other model? One thing that just occurred to me is that the spindle is screwed in and either the C or pin spanner nut are jam nuts. I'll see if that gets me anywhere next time I'm in the workshop.

Surprisingly, the Allen head fasteners are metric, so I can only assume its European or Japanese manufacture and/or not as old as I thought. I need to do some measuring and see if the single 30 tooth gear that came with it is metric too. I don't need to cut helical gears right now, but I really want to! Also, there's the possibility of differential dividing, which opens up many more dividing possibilities with the plates I have. Excellent video here:

It looks like a may be able to cut or buy and adapt some gears to do differential dividing setups fairly easily.

Can't help but think I really landed on my feet with this! I just had a quick go at my first simple dividing jobs and really enjoyed myself. I'll order some gear cutters in a moment - recommendations welcome :)

Figured it out. The C spanner nuts are there to adjust the mesh of the worm gear:

2019-12-28 11.27.32-1.jpg

The spindle is held in with an expanding mandrel type of affair. It's also keyed. Loosen the nut, give it a little tap with a soft blow hammer and remove:

2019-12-28 11.28.11.jpg2019-12-28 11.28.30.jpg

Then the head can be rotated:

2019-12-28 11.26.03-1.jpg

I'm still none the wiser about the manufacturer, but at least I know how it's put together now!

Nice!
Still a very well-made piece.

Someone put a lot of work into the design and implementation.
Funny that they did not put their mark on it.

-brino

EDIT:

I still think that the handles should be an obvious lead to the manufacturer:
1577578492443.png1577578561996.png

and especially the fluted one:
1577578885382.png

we just gotta get the attention of another owner......

-brino

Last edited:
Thanks guys. Yep, definitely a good thing! :cool:

I reckon you're onto something with the handles - I've been running image searches for every type of dividing head I can think of, but come up blank so far.

I think I'll cut a full set of metric change gears with/for it. The plates I've got get me a decent amount of tooth counts, and I'd have to make something to suit the Bridgeport feed anyway. Really looking forward to some gear cutting! I'll probably cut them from some Meehanite, it's such nice stuff to work with.

Cut gears if you like, good experience. May render disappointment how infrequently they'll be called on. But this work is more about extending capability than "I Can Only Do This". Those seem to be replacement handles. Tooling lives a hard life; most often being handled by some joker WHO DID NOT PAY FOR IT.
You'll find brand name rather immaterial; thankfully 40:1 means the same thing worldwide. That you have the plate(s) will be sufficient for a tremendous range of dividing. Without corresponding fed drive and universal table, helical work is real limited.
That pattern of divider [large trunnion and clamping] has already lasted 3 generations, minimum. Unless you crash it, certainly outlive you too.

Back