Dividing Head Is Splitting Mine.

Swerdk

Registered
Registered
I am interested in making model camshafts (4 – 8 inches long) for small engines Traditionally it appears you use a dividing head/ rotate table and tail stock on a mill to make camshafts. If so, is it necessary to automate the dividing head or does it work fine hand turning? I want to buy one that can obviously index, maneuver both vertical and horizontal, and have ability to be automated. Regarding automation, I am thinking about attaching a variable speed Sherline motor or CNC with step motor eventually. What I need to know is which rotating dividing assembly are your favorites. It has to enable me to attach a motor though. Also is a 6 inch rotating table adequate for my work or do I need a larger rotating table? My price point is under $900 preferably. My mill (to be purchased this fall) is PM 935 TV

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cams are generally ground, but that is pretty much the limit of my knowledge on the subject. I can see how you could rough them out on a mill. Did a little search, here you go. Mike
Mike

Last edited:
I would think that for model building not using a grinder should be fine?

I appreciate that I thought it could be done. Looks like you don't have to do it with an automatic rotating table but I bet it would be a lot easier

Swerdk,

Talk to Brian about this. He has a build thread in the Stationary and Live Steam forum called 'Five cylinder radial with overhead cam', and he just cut his camshafts a few days ago in his thread.

Back