Dividing Head Question

Swerdk

Registered
Registered
I understand the difference between universal and semi universal but what is BS-0, BS-1, BS-2 ??

If i am making gears up to 1" can i get away with a 5c dividing head? Can you use 5c collets in a 6 or 8 inch dividing head?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I imagine Brown & Sharpe #'s 0, 1 and 2.

You can make any gear that what you have will handle by way of size and divisions.

Neither the size of the dividing head nor the collet type dictate the gear size or type that can be made. If it will hold the blank, you can cut the gear.

"Billy G"

I have a couple of dividing heads, an L&W probably around 6" (1 1/2" x 8 tpi spindle) and an un-named Import universal (2 1/4" x 8 tpi spindle) at least 8" or 10". Both have tapered spindles, maybe around a MT3. Neither will take a 5-C collet. I have 3-jaw/4-jaw chucks for both. The L&W came with a dead center ground at the end with 3 flats (not ground round) for center to center work, plus a dog. I haven't shopped a ton for another, but don't recall ever seeing a dividing head that takes collets directly.

Bruce

I have not seen a 5C dividing head. I wonder if you are talking about a spin indexer. A spin indexer will divide a circle into 360 degrees. It will only cut gears whose tooth count is divisible evenly into 360. BS= Brown & Sharpe. The number is the size, larger number, larger dividing head. I think some of the Asian imports that are clones of the B&S dividing heads also use those same numbers to denote size. It does not mean they were made by B&S.

My older 6" dividing head has a B&S #9 taper in the spindle. Those tapers were quite common back in the day.

Now that makes sense.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hardinge used to make a semi-universal dividing head that takes 5C collets. I lusted after one for a long time. Very expensive. Found a mint condition Carrol with all the goodies(tailstock, plates, chucks, collets, dog, etc) instead. That one takes Hardinge NS #4 collets instead. Maximum capacity is 5/8 if I remember right. Not aware of any new production dividing heads that take 5C collets. Just spin indexers.

Back