DIY Boring Head

werz99

Registered
Registered
A standard boring head would take too much space on my small optimum BF16 mill. So I decided to make my own:
P1140112.JPGP1140136.jpg

Features:
-integrated MT2
-40mm height (without shank and boring bar)
-52 mm diameter
-Spindle M7 x 0,5
-Dial: 0,0125mm per division (40 divisions)
-10mm Boring Bars

Making of:

That looks great!

Sent from my SM-T500 using Tapatalk

Nice job ! I made a 2" boring head fer myself a year or three ago, it sure feels good to use
a tool that you made fer yourself. I posted mine in the shop made tool forum also ..............

I had a look at it there. Interesting design and it also looks very well made. I downloaded the drawings and will study them.

Very cool! Is this the Steve Campbell design boring head? If so I made the same one about a year or so ago except I used a 60 degree dovetail and made a few minor changes to meet my needs. I needed a small accurate boring head and the Chinese ones just wouldn't cut it so I made my own. It works very very well and is solid. I plan on building another one (2" diameter) and I am going to make a few changes so that I can use an indexable attachment like Mesa Tools makes for the Criterion heads.
Here's a link to mine. https://www.hobby-machinist.com/thr...cutter-for-making-homemade-boring-head.71700/
And here's the Mesa tool attachment https://www.mesatool.com/product-page/2-boring-head-attachment

Nice machined boringhead you made!

Thanks for the tipps with the mesa-attachment. - Very interesting addon that is now on my todo-list and needs further research..

I also have a 60° dovetail (copying the design of randy richards for the cutter) and I never heard of the "Steve Campbell Design" - just looked at several solutions and made my own version for my small mill. Also planning an even smaller version...
P1140156.JPG

Nice machined boringhead you made!

Thanks for the tipps with the mesa-attachment. - Very interesting addon that is now on my todo-list and needs further research..

I also have a 60° dovetail (copying the design of randy richards for the cutter) and I never heard of the "Steve Campbell Design" - just looked at several solutions and made my own version for my small mill. Also planning an even smaller version...
View attachment 368750
Thanks. The 60° dovetail was my initial concern but it made no difference at all. The only reason I see now to use a 45 over a 60 is if the boring head is even smaller and your looking for more contact area of the dovetail.

Here is a link to another pic of the Mesa attachment that shows you more of its construction.

Very nice! I have been thinking about this.
Robert

Back