DIY CNC metal lathe build

CNC_noob

Registered
Registered
So I have almost completed my CNC metal lathe project. I just need to finish the fine tuning for concentricness and then it is done. See the video for part 1 of the build here:

Here is a picture of the almost finished machine

Attachments

• 417D6192-2A1F-4B01-8C5E-37DE8BA4D207.jpeg
    417D6192-2A1F-4B01-8C5E-37DE8BA4D207.jpeg
    3.4 MB · Views: 21
Nice, are you getting a lot of runout from the pillow block headstock?

John

John,

i don’t know that I know enough about machining to know. I am literally learning how to set up as I go as this is my first lathe. I watched some videos and read some stuff before building it and then redesigned the headstock a few weeks agowhen I realized my first design had too much chatter and a lot of flexing when I tried to cut into the face of a bar. It is a lot better now, but I need to get everything aligned better and do some more testing before I declare I am done.

I’ve just started working on getting everything concentric and aligned. One issue I wish I’d checked was that my round bar for the shaft wasn’t really round. It was off by .01 inches but I think I can fix that by boring the chuck? But I haven’t done that yet because I have variation from the backplate to the chuck of .015 that I want to fix before making any changes to the chuck itself.

after I tinker with it for a few more weeks to months on my weekends I will be sure to update.

if I run into anything I cannot figure out I will post a video here to hopefully get some ideas and help from the community.

thanks for the question and sorry i didn’t answer it very well.

Nice work. Are you using NEMA 34 Stepper Motors? What is the torque on those?

I’m working on a home built CNC mill, rigidity is difficult to achieve with fabricated structures.

I’m working on a home built CNC mill, rigidity is difficult to achieve with fabricated structures.
I agree. I am running into a lot of vibration on face cuts but am sure I will get it figured out.

I can see at least one place where the design looks iffy, for example, hanging the toolpost way out on a limb like that will almost certainly cause chatter and problems with repeatability, possibly even broken tools and bent slides. You really want to tuck that in more if possible
Rigidity is key with machine tools, and that usually requires mass and compact structure
-Mark

I can see at least one place where the design looks iffy, for example, hanging the toolpost way out on a limb like that will almost certainly cause chatter and problems with repeatability, possibly even broken tools and bent slides. You really want to tuck that in more if possible
Rigidity is key with machine tools, and that usually requires mass and compact structure
-Mark
Thanks for the suggestion. I can definitely shorten it up and tuck it in. But it doesn’t even shake when it is cutting (I get vibration on facing elsewhere but the tool post seems calm) but if it will make it better I can definitely shorten it. Any other design changes I should look at? Thank you very much.

Last edited:
Nice, are you getting a lot of runout from the pillow block headstock?

John
So I have done some additional testing and I can confidently state I am getting a fair amount of runout. But I don’t think it is from the pillow blocks. I am pretty sure my backplate and mounting is giving me the most runout and I need to machine this a little more. Is there a bearing system you could steer me to that would be better than the pillow blocks?

Back