DIY CNC metal lathe build

Nothing really wrong with pillow blocks- the challenge is in mounting things on the spindle shaft with perfect concentricity
you almost need a whole 'nuther lathe to do it

I can see at least one place where the design looks iffy, for example, hanging the toolpost way out on a limb like that will almost certainly cause chatter and problems with repeatability, possibly even broken tools and bent slides. You really want to tuck that in more if possible
Rigidity is key with machine tools, and that usually requires mass and compact structure
-Mark
Just fixed it. Thanks for the advice. You can see a 60 second update to the cross slide here and there are more links to short videos if you want to see the process. Thanks for the help. The lathe is cutting really good now. A few more tweaks and I will be done I think.

Looks good so far. But with the 4-way tool post, tool changes (and the resulting "zeroing") will take some time. Perhaps you should get a QCTP, so you can "zero" and store the values for several tools ahead of time, then use them in succession for whatever multiple-tool lathe job you have to do.

Back