DIY De-Mag!

MERLIncMan

Registered
Registered
It seems a bit redundant to say "DIY" regarding anything on this site doesn't it.... :grin big:

SO!

My sweetie responded, as sweeties do, to my complaints regarding my beard-cutter machine. You see, I had been using some old 110VAC clipper thing that I found somewhere, years ago. It was missing teeth and was dull, and so pulled the beard rather than cut the beard... the joys of long-term bachelordom

... Incidentally, a real man shaves with a sharp rock, using cactus for lather, and can strike a match on his chin, so there is that :abnornal:

Anywho, I got a new beard gizmo, and so was left with something that worked fine, but had no use... If you're a hobby machinist, you know what a moral dilemma it is to consider throwing away something that works!

With fond boyhood memories of me gran'pappy teaching me about inductive coupling, using a similarly discarded hair-clipper-thing, I recalled that within these AC powered devices there is the simplest of oscillating motors: some bell wire around a laminated iron core. Granddad turned that old one into a neat step-down transformer.

I recalled, when working at the Tool and Die Shop, having disassembled the de-mag once to fix its switch. The function of the thing is immediately apparent: AC goes up and down to make a 60Hz oscillating magnetic field, this outlaws the freedom of assembly among the ferro-dudes within the steel, thusly demagnetizing the part (yes, it is a bit more complicated than that, but that's pretty much what it does).

I disassembled my former beard-cutting machine, removed the alarming amount of historic beard-hair that had secreted itself within (had it for many bristly days), cut the casing to expose the business-end of the electromagnet, then added a bit of stiff nylon tubing to act as a handle.

While modifying the case, it broke :dread: but! As I intended to employ the omnipotent hot-glue-extruder, I carried on!

I cut out a chunk of Not-Leather (I think it was a bull**** purse or something from which I had made a book-cover for a friend) and applied it to the gaping hole as a makeshift "Flux emission window" (You see what I did there? Made it all officially scientific with snooty terminology!)

I then wrapped a lowe's shopping bag about the handle end to make it thicker, and covered the thing in the ugliest electrical-tape that I could find.

TADA!!! :xmaslights:

An Oscillating Flux Ferro-Randomizing Wand!!!

If you'll notice, as it is chincy as chincy can be, I must make use of more and more snooty terminology....

Anyways, put it near aluminum and the aluminum gets all angry - on account of Lenz and whatnot.
Put it near a drill-bit, and the fuzz will fall away of its own accord....
(Come to think of it, it is still a beard-trimmer, in that it removes the iron beards from pieces-parts-and-tools! HAHAHAHAA!!!)

I demagged some screw-drivers, and it works exactly as anticipated.

Then Sweetie told me that some people want their screwdrivers to be magnetic, so I guess I've got to contrive a DC equivalent now to de-demag what was previously magged, but then was de-magged....

Anywho, two pictures show the thing - ugly and really simple.

In seriousness though, every de-mag I've seen has been a benchtop model - building one as a wand seems more intuitive.

.... I wonder what would happen if I put it near my metal detector wand?

Thank you for looking!

Attachments

• 20201122_122452.jpg
    20201122_122452.jpg
    736.3 KB · Views: 71
  • 20201122_124754.jpg
    20201122_124754.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 69
An interesting but not very original use for an old hair clipper. There are many devices that use a "short stroke" magnetic oscillator as a motor. Just listen for the buzz, after a while, you can call the 60 Cycle hum. I use a Weller D-550 soldering iron, it allows another use for a fully functional tool.

I am severly alergic to magnetized screwdrivers(and other small tools) and having a soldering gun handy. . . If you have access to a color TV with an "old school" pictire tube(CRT), try waving it around in front of the picture. But not while Wife is watching soaps. It works on B&W TVs as well, just not as kaleidoscopic.

I like it!!
I just picked a few pieces of metal out of my surface grinder tray and they were all covered in metal beard dust. Now I will have to find something around here that vibrates at 60Hz. I wonder if she still has that...

I guess I might have to stop by Goodwill or similar.

I guess I might have to stop by Goodwill or similar.

If you're really hardcore - get ye a microwave oven transformer and just cut out the secondary. That sucker will de mag the soul from your neighbor's cellphone.

Or, or.... hehehehe

Leave everything in the microwave wired up, but pull out the magnetron, and put a 15 degree cone around it... zap the mag off everything... no, wait, that would magnetize it... or irradiate it...

I don't know, but how cool would it be to have a magnetron gun? What's it for? If you have to ask, you wouldn't understand....o_O

I thought this thread was going to be useful. I have some drill bits that have become so magnetized that they are almost unusable. They became magnetized using them on the lathe, go figure.

I thought this thread was going to be useful. I have some drill bits that have become so magnetized that they are almost unusable. They became magnetized using them on the lathe, go figure.

Yes, the De-Mag is as important as waysoil really, but I haven't really seen it discussed.

If I had the facilities, I'd produce neat little mag/de-mag wands and sell them - they really are on the short list of must-have-tools for dealing with iron.

Rubbing iron on iron will make a magnet every time - doesn't seem like it should, but it will.

Glad I could help!

Errrrmmmmm..... well, I think if you follow Merl's instructions it would be useful. The magnetron out of the microwave.....

An interesting but not very original use for an old hair clipper. There are many devices that use a "short stroke" magnetic oscillator as a motor. Just listen for the buzz, after a while, you can call the 60 Cycle hum. I use a Weller D-550 soldering iron, it allows another use for a fully functional tool.

I am severly alergic to magnetized screwdrivers(and other small tools) and having a soldering gun handy. . . If you have access to a color TV with an "old school" pictire tube(CRT), try waving it around in front of the picture. But not while Wife is watching soaps. It works on B&W TVs as well, just not as kaleidoscopic.

So am I reading you correctly that a soldering gun can double as a demagnetizer?

Rather than a conventional tip, I use a coil of 6AWG copper.

To properly use a demagnetizer, you insert to object to be demagnetized and slowly withdraw it from the loop before shutting off the current. If you want to magnetize an object, insert it into the loop and power the gun on and off. If you hit it just right, the current will be at a maximum and the object will be magnetized. Pull it out and try to pick up some iron. If not satisfied, try it again.
EDIT Although it is possible to magnitize aqn object in this manner, simply pulling a strong magmet over an object works better. There must be a fair amount of carbon in the steel to magnetize it.

Last edited:
Back