DIY Geared Head Drill Press Plans?

vtcnc

Admin
Staff member
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
There are lots of cutaway photos, vintage manuals, etc. out there on the internet, but I'm curious if anyone is aware of plans or builds of a smallish, geared head drill press?

In http://www.hudsontelcom.com/9X20Gear.html, I write of the "design" being the offshoot of another project. That offshoot was an attempt at slowing down a drill press to eliminate cut down on plastic melting around a small drill. (Nr 49, 2-56 Tap). End result of my tinkering was the lathe project was kept intact, but the drill press did not slow down enough. So I invested in a variable speed WunHungLo mini-mill (HF) to use as a mini-drillpress.

All this babbling is about slowing down the drill press. For many "normal" applications, it would work well enough for a drill press. In my application, I was attempting to slow it down too far for reasonable control. What you are asking after is a commercial version with gear driven spindle rather than belts.(?) The lathe modification was used(?) by a technical school in Ireland. I don't know if it was actually built, but permission was granted. (me) That is as close as I have gotton to commercial use of my gizmo.

A drill press isn't usually run so slow as a lathe. My attempts were directed at preventing the plastic melting. It may, or not, suit what you are looking into. In any event, I offer the pointer.

Hi Bill thanks for the links. I read through your write up, thanks for that.

Initially I was thinking along the lines of spur gear arrangement with shift mechanisms, never thought of a planetary setup. Given me some food for thought.

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back