DIY heavy duty PM-833 CNC conversion

buzzfab

Registered
Registered
Ok, so this is my first post... HI

I have had my pm833 for like a year now and was waiting for a kit to be released for cnc conversion for what seems like forever. I actually was able to get the now unavailable HEAVYMETALCNC kit at first but thought they looked to weak. Then I was in contact with one of the well known kit builders for 5 months before he stopped replying to my email even after I had helped get him measurement. A couple of weeks ago after i got no reply for over 6 weeks I decide to sit down and make my own version. Now I get to make the conversion the way I wanted in the first place, no compromises like I was going to have to make with someone else design.

All the motors will be 80mm AC servos connected "direct drive" to the ballscrews including the Z but I have made an option for a belt driven Z that can handle a nema 42 size servo if I feel the 1000w 80mm isn't powerful enough.

It took me about 5 days or so to put the CAD file together and another couple to get all the components ordered. I have decided to use 32mm double nut ballscrew on the Z axis and 25mm double nut ball screws on the X,Y other kits use as small as 20mm ball screws. I have had the ballscrews custom made from HTLNC which i have dealt with on several occasions and have had good luck and good customer service when I have had any issues. This is also the recommended company that PRINTNC users get their components from. I might swap these out for some Japanese ones like THK if i can get a deal on some good used ones in the future ebay

The bearings I choose are Japanese NSK TAC series, these are specifically designed as ballscrews support bearings and are set up in a back-to-back configuration with adjustable preload. they are not generic offshore cheapo angular contact bearings.

I have already printed most parts on my Voron2 printer and modified them along the with changes to make them fit up correctly. The bearings and ballscrews are on route and when they arrive from offshore I can start the assembly, I have even printed mach ballnuts and bearings for fitment purposes because my patience has about worn out. I will most likely assemble the machine completely with the 3d printed parts and attempt to use the machine to to mill the final versions from 6061 aluminum. If this plan fails I will just cut them on the big router I run at my place of employment.

The cost of the ballscrews including shipping to Canada $280 but im sure there will be some import fees
The cost including shipping for the NSK bearings with $250 USD with no import fees.
I used about $40 of PLA filament for prototyping.
The 6061 I have left over from an old project but can't imagine it would cost more than $150

Total cost for me is less than $750 including the tooling to machine the parts.

Eric

PXL_20230218_164933218.jpg

PXL_20230218_165006486.jpg

PXL_20230218_165420053.jpg

Last edited:
@buzzfab First, Welcome to the best hobby machinist site on the internet!! :welcome:

Awesome job on the prototyping and development of your parts utilizing 3D printing. Ironically, I just completed my Voron 2.4 build. There is another member on here (@Ken226 ) that also has one.
Looking forward to your progress on this build. I don't have an 833 anymore but I will follow along.

EDIT: @DavidR8 lives in Vancouver (I think) and built a PrintCNC, also.

@buzzfab First, Welcome to the best hobby machinist site on the internet!! :welcome:

Awesome job on the prototyping and development of your parts utilizing 3D printing. Ironically, I just completed my Voron 2.4 build. There is another member on here (@Ken226 ) that also has one.
Looking forward to your progress on this build. I don't have an 833 anymore but I will follow along.

EDIT: @DavidR8 lives in Vancouver (I think) and built a PrintCNC, also.

I am also in vancouver area and redesigned the printNC CAD from scratch because there were some things i didnt like Hoges original design. he even adapted my hole spacing/placement formula into his second machine. I posted it in the #PRONC channel on discord. I started the build, have all the parts but paused it because I had to many projects on the go. I have since finished my Voron build and once the 833 is converted i will go back to my customized PrintNC.

Eric

That's a project only the big dogs would tackle, skills... I'll be watching

All of my bearings arrived today. Japanese made NSK TAC series which are specifically designs for ballscrew supports. I could have just gotten some no name Chinese angular contact bearings for like $3 each on Ebay but I find that usually you get what you pay for.
Some info here... nsk-tac-bearings.pdf
Or even more here... CAT. No. E1254 SUPER PRECISION BEARINGS

PXL_20230223_015915400.MOTION-01.COVER.jpg
PXL_20230223_015533371.MOTION_2.jpg

Now I am just waiting for the ballscrews to arrive. I've got a tracking number but it seems like they haven't actually shipped yet.
Hopefully they don't take too long, I can't move forward until they arrive.

Eric

Back