DIY Homemade Way Covers

Splat

Active User
H-M Supporter Gold Member
You never know what you'll find when looking for something else. :) I stopped off at Home Depot a few days ago and while there I thought about way cover material. Down in the carpet section I saw they had vinyl runner material on a spool. It's 27" wide by however long you need it @ $2.27/ft. I picked up a 2' long piece. It's about 1/8" thick and very pliable. It is slightly ribbed on one side. I cut a piece for the column, made two holes at one end and inserted grommets. Then I simply strung the piece up using two zip ties. I'm going to cut up a piece for the vice to mount on the back of the moveable jaw and maybe another piece for the cross slide ways. So far this material has been holding up to using copious amounts of Tap Magic Pro and hot bits of 1018 flying at it. :thumbzup: When I get new batts for my camera I'll gladly post a pic.

PS, forgot to mention... the Home Depot SKU is 140877

Old treadmill belts are good too...and sometimes free.

The way covers are well worth the effort to install. Keeping all the swarf off the ways is the best reason. Clean up is much easyer too. The way covers I installed on my mill can be seen here on the thread, shop made tools i started a while back.

Last edited:
Back