DIY Power Scraper

As a hobbyist, I couldn't justify spending >$1000 for a scraper.
But then again, after I struggle with a home-made one, perhaps I will wish I had! o_O

Hey all,

I suspect such a project has been posted many times. Well, this is my take on it. :)

View attachment 358791

This video shows my walkthrough:

Kevin T
Nice work and explanations.

The price of the so called “professional” ones are insane, and I like seeing this kind of ingenuity to solve problems. This creates competition.

And Competition is what these manufacturers need, to force them to compete on price, and improve their products.

well done

One thing I would suggest is the scraper shank does need a bit of flex, probably needs more flex in a power scraper.

First scraper I made, the shaft was too stiff and just wouldn’t work right. It needs the flex to help the scraper blade confirm to the work, if it’s too stiff tends to bounce around.

I found that for a hand scraper, a 1/8 x 7/8 cold rolled provides about the right flex.

Nice work and explanations.

The price of the so called “professional” ones are insane, and I like seeing this kind of ingenuity to solve problems. This creates competition.

And Competition is what these manufacturers need, to force them to compete on price, and improve their products.

well done
Thanks for the kind words.
After working on this, it seems clear to me that making one of these scrapers should be no more difficult than making a Sawzall. I think it is just that it is a niche product with a very small pool of potential buyers that keeps the price high.

One thing I would suggest is the scraper shank does need a bit of flex, probably needs more flex in a power scraper.

First scraper I made, the shaft was too stiff and just wouldn’t work right. It needs the flex to help the scraper blade confirm to the work, if it’s too stiff tends to bounce around.

I found that for a hand scraper, a 1/8 x 7/8 cold rolled provides about the right flex.
I have never been able to examine a Biax Scraper, but from what I have seen in pictures, it seems like it has a rigid shank. Am I confused?
Thanks

EDIT: I just looked at a Biax photo again, and the blade does seem wider and thinner then my shank. So does that part flex then?
Thanks

Last edited:
I’ve never used a power scraper (too rich for my blood), but what I can say after making 4 different hand scrapers is that the shaft needs a bit of flex.

With some flex, it allows the blade to... it’s hard to say, but it seems to conform better to the metal. If it’s too hard, the scraper seems to chatter and skip. I do know that the commercially available scrapers have different amounts of flex, and different people like different ones.

The one I ended up liking the best is a copy of the Sandvik scraper.

I’d try a stiffer and a flexier one, pay attention to how they work and decide which style you like better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Back