DIY Rocklinizer!?

I never paid attention to what they use but if you search carbidizer in knife forums you should still be able to find threads on guys making their own. I remember seeing quite a few of them.

They were popular amongst knife makers for carbizing the lock bar face on titanium lock bars as well as carbidizing the edge for titanium blades. Titanium alloys don't make for great knife blades due to very poor wear resistance & is why they carbidize them to help but some people like to make them. These days many knife makers have switched to steel insert lock bar faces so not sure if many knife makers still use carbidizers anymore.
If you run across any DIY threads I’d sure appreciate a link as I know nothing of knife making so would have no clue where to look.

Here's one for you.
DIY Carbidizer

Doug
Thanks for those links. Two completely different approaches. I had wondered if an old battery charger would work and it looks like it would work. Just got to see if mine sparks. The other with the homemade ac/dc rectifier was interesting. I had gone to a the closing of a local claymation studio and they had at least 30 or 40 variacs they trying to sell and I thought I should buy at least one and I just didn’t ever think I would need it, dumb move :(

They had at least 30 or 40 variacs they trying to sell and I thought I should buy at least one and I just didn’t ever think I would need it
Yeah a variac is one of those items that I also figure I really wouldn't need, But it would be nice to have one just in case.
Another item I would like to have that I probably really wouldn't use much is a oscilloscope.

Doug

Another item I would like to have that I probably really wouldn't use much is a oscilloscope.
I just checked, they have several apps for that, and spectrum analyzer etc. crazy. No variac’s though :(

Back