DIY "Tool post grinder"

strantor

Active User
Registered
"Tool post grinder" as in, not a tool post grinder, but I don't know what to call it. "Tool post DIE grinder?" It ain't even that. It's not a die grinder and it doesn't even go on the tool post. If anyone knows what to call this, let me know.

20230328_180014.jpg

I've been meaning to make this for a long time, finally encountered a project that required it, so I whipped this up quick.

It's a "rotozip" which is half way between a dremel and a die grinder in terms of power. Spins high speed, and has collets for dremel-sized bits as well as 1/4" shank die grinder bits. I think it spins as fast as either. It's meant for side-cutting like a router so I expect (hope) it will have more axial fortitude than a dremel does.

I reupropsed the aluminum arm from a worn out German bagging machine at work. Cut it to size with the bandsaw and finished the surfaces in the 4-jaw. It already had that hole with split clamp but I enlarged it.

I cut the notch out of the bottom to get the existing hole as close to center as possible, then mounted the arm to the compound, then put a boring bar in the chuck to enlarge the hole, that way it's dead on center as soon as I mount it, no adjustment needed. I used a unistrut nut as the t-nut for it.

Looks like it will work to me. I have one of those Roto Zips, and have used it a few times for various jobs. They are used most often by sheet rock guys for cutting out for electrical boxes. More of a light duty router than anything else. Are you using it to true up a chuck? Mike

They are used most often by sheet rock guys for cutting out for electrical boxes. More of a light duty router than anything else.
yep.
Are you using it to true up a chuck? Mike
Eventually. That's one of the main reasons why I've been wanting something like this.

Immediately though (tomorrow) I'm going to use it to reduce the shaft size of a stepper motor. There's no way to hold it rigid enough to turn it down by normal means, so I I'll grind it down.

If anyone knows what to call this, let me know.
Is it not a "Workingtoolthingamabobwhatshamacallit-toolpostgrinderthingamajigi" lathe attachment then??

Well that's what I thought it was.......could be wrong.

If anyone knows what to call this, let me know.
Post-O-Zip?

Great idea! Somewhere I have a box of a half dozen Roto Zips, leftover from my drywall daze... Maybe one of em isn't too trashed and I can make a Post-O-Zip

I made a similar set-up using a Dremel to grind my 3 jaw jaws.

"Tool post grinder" as in, not a tool post grinder, but I don't know what to call it. "Tool post DIE grinder?" It ain't even that. It's not a die grinder and it doesn't even go on the tool post. If anyone knows what to call this, let me know.

View attachment 442721

I've been meaning to make this for a long time, finally encountered a project that required it, so I whipped this up quick.

It's a "rotozip" which is half way between a dremel and a die grinder in terms of power. Spins high speed, and has collets for dremel-sized bits as well as 1/4" shank die grinder bits. I think it spins as fast as either. It's meant for side-cutting like a router so I expect (hope) it will have more axial fortitude than a dremel does.

I reupropsed the aluminum arm from a worn out German bagging machine at work. Cut it to size with the bandsaw and finished the surfaces in the 4-jaw. It already had that hole with split clamp but I enlarged it.

I cut the notch out of the bottom to get the existing hole as close to center as possible, then mounted the arm to the compound, then put a boring bar in the chuck to enlarge the hole, that way it's dead on center as soon as I mount it, no adjustment needed. I used a unistrut nut as the t-nut for it.
How much runout is there on the tool shaft?

Thinking of doing something similar with my flex shaft

View attachment 442857

That's the direction folks normally go when building similar things. It definitely would be less cumbersome in the tool post area.

Back