Diy zinc plating

Thanks for posting!

Thank You Very much Celso.
Hahaha, I was just going to try nickle plating myself. Then settled on zinc plating.
I am out of time on my project (peddle car) and didn't feel like I could learn the plating 20230630_150000.jpgprocesses fast enough.
How do plate clear cote the zinc?

Thank You Very much Celso.
Hahaha, I was just going to try nickle plating myself. Then settled on zinc plating.
I am out of time on my project (peddle car) and didn't feel like I could learn the plating View attachment 452754processes fast enough.
How do plate clear cote the zinc?
Sorry, my english é very short. i not understand your question. Can you rewrite?

I had parts zinc plated and there was a clear coating that was supposed to be part of the process.
Do you know anything about the clear coat?

I had parts zinc plated and there was a clear coating that was supposed to be part of the process.
Do you know anything about the clear coat?

Clear coat is not normal. However, a "blue" chromate dip after plating is. This provides additional protection. It doesn't make the finish blue per se, it's just a smig gray-blue. There are various color chromates that are more noticeable from a visual standpoint, like yellow, olive drab, or black. The blue is in effect clear, so maybe that's what you are referring to?

Yes, I didn't realize the blue is pretty much clear.
Thank you

FWIW, I've done a fair bit of zinc plating over the years, on hardware for several motorcycle restoration projects. For guys in North America, Caswell's plating is a good resource for the electrolyte, brightener, and chromate dips. It's not cheap, but the results are excellent.

I applaud Celso for his more grassroots approach to the chemicals. His is a great way to save some money, for sure.

Back