Do I Need To Resurface The Back Of My Chuck

Swerdk

Registered
Registered
regarding test indicator
1 div= .0005

I set the test indicator zero, this is the worst I get when I tested the spindle portion of chuck 00020
59963d141a2207cdf7d631ace5515164.jpg
84c61d4acf8b1fc8479166586f88e978.jpg
( 4 divisions)that is supposed to say twenty ten thousandth.

◦ did I read that right?

◦ My three jaw Chuck on the other hand is off by 14 divisions with a .0005 test indicator.

does that mean I need to clean up back of 3 jaw?

◦ Does it really matter? that is the question
I don't need more work but if it's going to skew my work I will do it.
◦ math question is .0005 x 14 divisions = 0.007 ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

59963d141a2207cdf7d631ace5515164.jpg

84c61d4acf8b1fc8479166586f88e978.jpg

Last edited:
In the first picture, if that's how you took your measurement you need to re-measure it. When you are using a test indicator the needle has to be as parallel to the surface as possible, not perpendicular. Or you get a false reading. Some pics for reference (not mine).

http://i.ytimg.com/vi/jz9dWUUxibE/hqdefault.jpg

http://itdc.lbcc.edu/oer/machineTool/precisionTools/precisionToolsALT/images/dial2.jpg

My three jaw Chuck is off by 14 divisions with a .0005 test indicator.

14 divisions of a half thousandths indicator (supposing every division is a half thou) means the chuck is off by .007". Acceptable for most 3 jaw work.

How many .001 = .0005

.0005" is half of .001".

Your to quick i just cleaned up post. I did not know that about test indicator placement though

I will remeasure

Looks like you are measuring the face of your spindle, not the back of the chuck. Is that a registration surface? If not it doean't matter.

Andre is right about the technique.

Last edited:
I measured the face of my spindle then the face of the chuck to see the difference. I figure if there is a difference then it must be the back of the chuck causing it?

I wish i could work in garage as much as i am chained to a county desk for another 10 years

Check chuck runout. Mark your posts and locks where the least runout occurs. Always mount it in the same location.

If you still have a problem, then start looking at other suspects.

Install the chuck on the lathe and measure the axial runout on the face of the chuck. Then chuck up a piece of precision rod (1" or so) and measure the radial runout of the rod near the chuck. Those are the numbers that matter.

Axial runout? Thats the face of the chuck correct?

Back