Do you clean before you create?

I'm not an especially productive hobby machinist. I barely make anything. So with all the extra time I have (thinking about how I will make something) my shop gets plenty of cleaning. It's also a bit meditative.
So I guess what I'm saying is, after a long day of cleaning the shop, I'm usually too tired for machining. I like to do a little machining first thing in the morning, and then clean the rest of the day.

if the goal is cleaning I'm happy if I can see a difference.
Yup. It all depends on the situation.

I do, tho, TRY to clean up enough at the end of the day to make my tomorrow morning start on the right foot.
Big jobs are different, (and a lot less frequent these days) but small jobs seem to go better if I can start with a clean slate.

A messy shop is a happy shop, and my shop is delirious :)

05cba283cde7dc71ef08427cc3034b02.jpg
Ok , yeah ............I give up . Is she still for hire ? :cautious:

Did you check your messages? :)

Hm...........................this crew would work :drool:

Well, this cleaning up thread took an unexpected turn. :grin:

I'm not good at cleaning, but after I do any cutting, welding and grinding I always clean up that mess. My work benchs get clutter frequently it seems.

There are always little projects around the farm that I'll take care of then end up laying stuff on the work bench when I'm done. Next thing I know is a mess.

Before starting a big project or working on my Hot Rod project it usually takes a few hours of cleaning up and putting stuff away before I get started.

Once I start working on a project in the shop I try to keep it clean as I go.

My ambition is to always have a clean shop, I just find it so much easier to concentrate and I become a lot more creative.
Unfortunately the reality is that the second it's clean, I find something to play with and within an hour the shop looks like a disaster again. :grin:

Back