Do You Have A Creative Mind? I Don't!

I am looking forwards to seeing your setup and results.

I have always believed that a person will learn a little when they make a part correctly for the first time... but they will learn a whole lot more by making a part incorrectly multiple times... at least that is how it works for me. I guess that is why I really enjoy it when a person posts their screw ups ass well as their successes, then I can learn from their mistakes.

P.S. I don't believe that mechanical ability and creative thinking are necessarily an inherited trait or a talent people are born with. When my sister married my Brother In Law 30 years ago he could just barely tie his own shoes and never had any interest in making anything. They bought a 100+ year old house that wasn't maintained very well and had more holes in it than wall. My father spent a good amount of time traveling down there,a week at a time especially after he retired, to help them out. I think one of the first jobs they tackled was the knob-and-tube wiring in the living room. Another trip was replacing a rusted out cast iron sewer pipe... etc. etc. Having someone to show him how to do things gave him the knowledge and confidence to tackle projects on their own. Their house now has all new wiring and plumbing throughout and is a very nice house. One of the projects my father helped him with was some built in cabinets in their bedroom. 15 years later my brother in law finally built a set of cherry stile and rail doors that turned out beautifully and now he has started making some pretty impressive furniture. Actually THEY are making some pretty impressive furniture... my brother in law builds with some help along the way from my sister and my sister finishes the wood working projects.

One of the lessons my Brother In Law learned himself along the way is to put a "do not flush" sign on the toilet before working on the sewer lines. lol

Last edited:
I’d be out there this morning but I promised my neighbor I wouldn’t run any machines before 7.
I think I will cut the relief to 1.500” then thread from the inside out. (Wait, won’t that make left handed threads?)
Just kidding.

Mike, I like the story about your sister and brother in law and the old house. I know I improved my skills around the house when I didn’t try to get everything done in one day.

I have been called an "artist" more than once, especially related to the hobby end of my machining.

I have difficulty accepting compliments, and just rationalize that the person just doesn't know any better to think otherwise. My focus is always on learning the next thing, and appreciating what I see on here that I do not know how to do yet.

I haven’t used the Carmex internal threading tool. I noticed it has quite a negative rake.
The Carmex kit came with two sizes of 3 way 60 degree inserts. I haven’t measured yet but I may need the larger of the two for this thread. The relief will need to be wide enough to allow for the tool.
This is fun stuff.26FFBDA6-CFB2-4363-A291-47C27854C761.jpegF24F95EC-CB19-4E4B-8509-BC19091EC111.jpeg9FE3BC3B-27AA-42CE-AC09-B4D727011C22.jpeg1050A5E2-63A8-4841-B6CD-D3B11EF4A6AE.jpeg

Hugh, the pics didn’t load properly. First time for that to happen.

Amazingly, negative rake tools work quite well for internal work. I have found if I am getting chatter with the tool on center and 90 degrees to the work, rotating the bar to a negative rake and re-centering the tool height to center makes for very nice cuts. Now, I often do it on purpose. Cheap Chinese brazed carbide tools also respond quite well to this, stops the bottom of the cutting edge from rubbing the work.

Oops, I just realized, I need to turn the tool upside down and work from the back side if I'm going inside out.
I would have figured it out sooner or later. :)

Oops, I just realized, I need to turn the tool upside down and work from the back side if I'm going inside out.
I would have figured it out sooner or later. :)

Yep , it'll work better that way . :big grin:

This is a complete aside but somewhat related to the idea of creativity.

My partner and I were discussing capabilities and we talked about multiple intelligences.
This article is interesting.

The context for me is that I love music but struggle to learn an instrument.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My wife says I spend time in the shop "playing". :dunno:
Chuck
I think that statement is quite popular coming from our better halves. I know my wife often refers to that same line of reasoning.

Back