Do you suffer from "Quality Creep"?

When I am making a part, I DO have quality creep. Each iteration is an evolution of the previous. Sometimes it is something simple like, Hmmm If I take the RPMS up, and the feed down a bit, the finish is nicer. Or, This part would work better, if it were a half inch longer. Sometimes when I am making multiples of a doo-dad, I say "I like where the designed ended up, I need to scrap the first one, so they are all uniform".

Ditto here. A run to the hardware store will cost at least one gallon of fuel, depending on the vehicle selected.
I've had 'acquaintances' who stop by to have something repaired only to question 'why' do I have two cabinets full of fasteners and hardware.
"Why don't you just go to the store and buy it when you need it?" - say what?

I'm the opposite . I have a hardware store within a minute walking . Why should I waste an hour or two trying to find a $4 oil filter wrench ? ( that's why I ended up with 17 at last count ) :rolleyes:

Slight edit for my tendencies:
Like John, have I had to stop on the highway to retrieve something that has fallen off someone else's vehicle? -Yes, carefully.
I was just thinking that as I was reading this thread. My total acquisitions from stopping on the road are two adjustable wrenches. Luckily for me, the roads around here are not very busy. :/

I would be buried in rachet straps if it was safe to stop and pick them up around here!

I can only guess that further up the road there would be an array of fridges, stoves and pianos......

-brino

Just to be clear....

I was very careful when I retrieved the gap section from Hwy. 101 and @Cooter Brown is working to make it good again for my lathe....

I'm looking forward to the day when I can worry about #Quality_Creep because my skills and facilities are capable of exceeding the needed specifications for the work I'm doing. Right now I'm trying to get a low end Chinese 13x40 lathe up to the minimum standard most of you would settle for. I don't know if I'll get there but I have to hope the effort will at least get me further along the path....

Cheers,

John

I have no idea what any of you are talking about.

Now excuse me while I go organize the misc odd size pieces of left over sheet rock, lumber and metal bits that I might use someday.
ah crud, are we dragging lumber and wood into this thread?
I'm in a deep hole there. Woodworking is my first love.
Not just the cutoffs from remodeling, but all the furniture grade walnut, oak, cedar, and other exotics I've been collecting over the years.
I have it stashed in the storage trailer, tractor shed, under the back porch and down in the storage room.
In that regard I am a hoarder of wood. :rolleyes:

I'm the opposite . I have a hardware store within a minute walking . Why should I waste an hour or two trying to find a $4 oil filter wrench ? ( that's why I ended up with 17 at last count ) :rolleyes:
You're lucky there. Easy to see how you'd end up with multiples.

I read quality creep a different way.
As I'm totally self taught and most of my projects have been somewhat lengthy I find I make what I thought at the time was a good job.
Later as my skill levels increased albeit slowly I just have to go back and re-do or re-design the part because I can see that it actually wasnt that good after all.

Back