[4]

[Newbie] Doall 15 Lathe

[3]
[10] Like what you see?
Click here to donate to this forum and upgrade your account!

LaVern

Registered
This is going to be a long post and I have limited experience about this topic. I was contacted yesterday by a friend who works at a small machine shop that is closing down. He said they had several items for sale and one of them was a DoAll 15 lathe. Overall length is about 78", probably a 36 or 40" between centers. He said he didn't know a lot about it but he did know that it worked a year ago. The person who last ran the lathe has since retired and has no connection to the shop anymore. I went in this morning to check it out. Now before I go any further I must say that I am retired and have limited experience running any manual lathes other than my own Smithy 1220. I did run G&L CNC lathe at work, but for the most part I had very few hours on a manual lathes and that was 14 years ago. I also didn't have a way to take pictures that I can post.

The machine was very dirty and it was evident that it hadn't been used lately. We were able to get the motor turned on and the spindle to run through different speeds but were unable to get the carriage to traverse under power. The lead screw (I think that's the proper term) didn't rotate and couldn't get it to no matter what levers we engaged. I was able to get the carriage to engage on the screw and this of course made it so the carriage wouldn't travel manually. I think this tells me that the problem lies in the gear box and not the carriage. For what it's worth I tried the feed rate levers in all the positions, there was also a lever with arrows pointing left and right, I tried them in both directions. I assumed these were for feed direction and I could also get the cross feed slide to engage but of course it would move because the feed screw wasn't turning.

My question is where can I find some information on the DoAll 15? I find info on the DoAll 13, 16, and several others but nothing on the 15. For $500 and free delivery I would think I could get my money out of it for scrap if nothing else, but would surely like to get it running. It has with it several 3 jaw chucks a four jaw, a face plate centers, a QCTP and several tool holders plus quite a few turning tools. Does anybody know by the limited info I have provided what is wrong. Perhaps a lever or combination of levers. Or does anybody know where I can find an operators manual. Like I said I have spent several hours online last evening and this morning after looking at it to no avail. I did tell him I would buy it. Thanks for any help.
LaVern
P.S. I hope this is the correct place to ask these questions.

kd4gij

Active User
Registered
A picture would be a big help.

Bob Korves

H-M Supporter - Sustaining Member
H-M Platinum Supporter ($50)
Your guesses are correct about how the lathe operates. The first thing to see is if the gear that drives the feed gearbox is turning. If it is, and the lead screw is not turning, you either have an operator problem or a gearbox problem. If the gear that drives the lead screw/gearbox is not turning, then the gear train from spindle to feed shaft is disengaged, incomplete, or broken.

LaVern

Registered
A picture would be a big help.
I didn't have a camera phone that I could take a picture, but I do realize that pictures always help. I will try again next week to get a few pictures taken and posted. Thank you for your reply.

LaVern

Registered
Your guesses are correct about how the lathe operates. The first thing to see is if the gear that drives the feed gearbox is turning. If it is, and the lead screw is not turning, you either have an operator problem or a gearbox problem. If the gear that drives the lead screw/gearbox is not turning, then the gear train from spindle to feed shaft is disengaged, incomplete, or broken.
Bob thanks for your reply. I guess I'll have to get it home and see how it goes. I do plan on running through all the levers and such again before I get it disconnected from the power supply because it is 3 phase and I don't have that in my workshop. Meanwhile does anybody know where I might get a manual for it, or even some information on where and if parts are available? Thanks again.
LaVern

LaVern

Registered
It looks like they where made by Romi Take a look at Harrison They seem to have been the same back then
http://www.lathes.co.uk/harrison/page10.html
I did come across that link after a while and some research. On the page that you sent the link for, I do believe that by clicking on the 13", 15" late models, http://www.lathes.co.uk/harrison/page17.html , the first picture that comes up is very similar to the one I am asking about. I also see that a manual for it is available too. So I guess after this weekend I will go back and fire it up once more and again try all the positions of the lower gear change levers or what they call the "screwcutting gearbox" and see if I am able to get the lead screw to rotate under power. Thanks everybody for your input and replies. I will try to follow up with some pictures next week.

LaVern

CraigB1960

New Member Liaison
H-M Supporter - Gold Member ($25)
Looks like a heavy duty lathe. Heck, $500 with delivery, don't see where you could go wrong. On the lathes.co.uk site, they list a manual available for the DoAll 13" and 15" lathe. (it is their for their late model 13"/15" model though).

https://store.lathes.co.uk/print/md398s

You could also contact the company and ask if they have any info on it:

http://www.doall.com/dgisupply.aspx

As far as not engaging the feed screw, I would start at the end gearing and go from there.

LaVern

Registered
Looks like a heavy duty lathe. Heck, $500 with delivery, don't see where you could go wrong. On the lathes.co.uk site, they list a manual available for the DoAll 13" and 15" lathe. (it is their for their late model 13"/15" model though).

https://store.lathes.co.uk/print/md398s

You could also contact the company and ask if they have any info on it:

http://www.doall.com/dgisupply.aspx

As far as not engaging the feed screw, I would start at the end gearing and go from there.
I agree about the price. For a lathe that size I don't think I can go wrong. I did see the manual available but the one that I saw was 45L vs. the 37L listed on your link. Thanks Craig.
LaVern

Steve Shannon

Rocketgeek
CraigB1960 said:
I agree; instead of just trying different levers, look at the spindle and follow the gear train to see how they must connect to make the feed screw turn. You'll end up with a much better understanding of the lathe.

John_Dennis

Active User
Registered
I have a Harrison that may be similar. Look at the lead screw where it enters the gear box. It may have a sliding collar that disengages the lead screw when pulled out towards the tail stock and engages when pushed in.

IMG_2164.jpg

LaVern

Registered
I agree; instead of just trying different levers, look at the spindle and follow the gear train to see how they must connect to make the feed screw turn. You'll end up with a much better understanding of the lathe.
I agree with you but I don't think I can do that until I get it home. My wanting to try the levers is hoping to find the solution while the three phase power is still hooked up. I assume by "Following the gear train", I would need to disassemble something? If not perhaps you could help me understand what you mean by that. Thank you.
LaVern

LaVern

Registered
I have a Harrison that may be similar. Look at the lead screw where it enters the gear box. It may have a sliding collar that disengages the lead screw when pulled out towards the tail stock and engages when pushed in.

View attachment 125763
I'll have to check that out next week. The Do all is like the lathe pictured here. http://www.lathes.co.uk/harrison/page17.html I will try to download the image from that page here. It looks like it worked. Again thanks for everybody's input and advice.
LaVern

Harrison 15 lathe.jpg

Steve Shannon

Rocketgeek
I agree with you but I don't think I can do that until I get it home. My wanting to try the levers is hoping to find the solution while the three phase power is still hooked up. I assume by "Following the gear train", I would need to disassemble something? If not perhaps you could help me understand what you mean by that. Thank you.
LaVern
No disassembly, just open the gear cover on the left and look to see what drives what. The gear on the spindle drives another gear, which might have an idler that can be inserted to reverse the driven direction. You should be able to do this even without powering up the lathe; in fact I would recommend not powering up the lathe until you know what the gears do.
Eventually an input shaft for the quick change gear box (QCGB) is driven. The cover for that may also need to be lifted off or unscrewed but it may be well worth your time to see the gears in there, unless they're in an oil bath, in which case you might not see much. They are what drive the power feed or lead screw. If you do this you should be able to see where the disconnect is happening.
Post pictures! You'll do just fine.

Brain Coral

Active User
Registered
Hello LaVern

That looks like a very stout lathe. It could be something as simple as a shear pin where the lead screw connects to the gear box shafting. I do believe that it is worth the risk for buying at $500.00, as I'm sure that it will be fixable, but as far as getting your $500.00 worth in scrap value, I don't think so. I sold an old lathe for scrap a few years ago, when scrap prices for cast iron were around $170.00/ton. My lathe weighed #2220 lbs and I received around $175.00. Today's scrap iron pricing around here is about $85.00/ton. If I am correct, it would take nearly 5 ton of weight to pay out $500.00.

All that aside, I would jump on that lathe for $500.00 :)

Brian

Last edited:

LaVern

Registered
No disassembly, just open the gear cover on the left and look to see what drives what. The gear on the spindle drives another gear, which might have an idler that can be inserted to reverse the driven direction. You should be able to do this even without powering up the lathe; in fact I would recommend not powering up the lathe until you know what the gears do.
Eventually an input shaft for the quick change gear box (QCGB) is driven. The cover for that may also need to be lifted off or unscrewed but it may be well worth your time to see the gears in there, unless they're in an oil bath, in which case you might not see much. They are what drive the power feed or lead screw. If you do this you should be able to see where the disconnect is happening.
Post pictures! You'll do just fine.
Thanks Steve. I guess I'll have to take a look at it next week and determine if I want to bring it home first. More than likely that is what I'll do.

LaVern

LaVern

Registered
Hello LaVern

That looks like a very stout lathe. It could be something as simple as a shear pin where the lead screw connects to the gear box shafting. I do be live that it is worth the risk for buying at $500.00, as I'm sure that it will be fixable, but as far as getting your $500.00 worth in scrap value, I don't think so. I sold an old lathe for scrap a few years ago, when scrap prices for cast iron were around $170.00/ton. My lathe weighed #2220 lbs and I received around $175.00. Today's scrap iron pricing around here is about $85.00/ton. If I am correct, it would take nearly 5 ton of weight to pay out $500.00.

All that aside, I would jump on that lathe for $500.00 :)

Brian
You are probably correct on the price as scrap, but in reality I have no intention of scrapping it. I do hope the feed screw problem is probably a minor fix. Still a lot of lathe for $500. I guess I'll have to see how it all turns out. Thanks.

LaVern

Steve Shannon

Rocketgeek
Thanks Steve. I guess I'll have to take a look at it next week and determine if I want to bring it home first. More than likely that is what I'll do.

LaVern
For the record, I'm with Brian; for $500 I would buy it. Chances are it's something easily fixable.

Steve Shannon

CraigB1960

New Member Liaison
I'll have to check that out next week. The Do all is like the lathe pictured here. http://www.lathes.co.uk/harrison/page17.html I will try to download the image from that page here. It looks like it worked. Again thanks for everybody's input and advice.
LaVern
Well, you are one lucky dog! I paid $600 for my 13" Sheldon, which was a good deal, but not compared to this deal.

Going by the image you show, it is the newer one. The manual is for purchase on the uk site, but the DoAll company should be able to help you as well. They list several service/parts companies on their website that deal with servicing lathes.

As others have posted, there is a cover on the end of the lathe that comes off exposing the gear train for the feed drive.

LaVern

Registered
My son was able to get me the pictures he took. I will try to download them. Like I said, it is dirty.
LaVern DoAll 15_1.jpg DoAll 15_2.jpg

D

Deleted member 473

Guest - Please Register!
Guest - Please Register!
Yep, looks like a Harrison that is re-badged DoALL. Might check out Vintage Machinery website and see if a manual is available for a small donation. Definitely needs a good bath with some Simple Green. With all of the labels missing from the levers on the QCGB, one would think someone has been into the gear box.

Silverbullet

Gold
Registered
Some lead screws have a shear pin near the gear box ? If it's sheared it will just not move , or there is another cut out or something on the lathe. I too would jump on it for the money . There's a very old lathe near me I'd get if I were able to get the room in my garage it's about the same size . Little bit of clean up and paint and it'll look like new.

CraigB1960

New Member Liaison
Should clean-up nicely! Congratulations on the excellent find.

Steve Shannon

Rocketgeek
All dirt does is hold the price down!
It may have caused some wear if it was used much while dirty, but it may be that he just never used it. I would be very interested.

Steve Shannon

LaVern

Registered
I do think it will clean up fairly easy. The room this lathe is setup in is where a rubber hose cutting operation is setup. A lot of that dirt is a black rubber dust which did seem to wipe off kind of easy. There were spots where oily surfaces are exposed so they may take a bit more, but I agree it ought to clean up good.
LaVern

LaVern

Registered
Well the fellow sent a video of the DoAll working. Looking good. Hope to get it later this week or the weekend. I will try to post the video. Well it isn't allowing me to download the video. It's a mov file from a cell phone and on my computer it is a GP file type. I'll have to do some research. But anyway it runs :excitement: :).

LaVern

Registered
Well we went to the shop where the lathe was to disconnect the power and gather up the tooling. We did that and since the truck and trailer and forklift was available we decided to bring it home. I don't have any pictures of that process but I have a few of the final results of today's work. I want to thank everybody for your advice and words of encouragement.
LaVern

DoAll_3 (640x427).jpg DoAll_4 (640x427).jpg DoALl_5 (640x427).jpg

Steve Shannon

Rocketgeek
Way to go! That's great!

Steve Shannon, P.E.

LaVern

Registered
Here's a few more pictures of the tooling I got with it.

LaVern

DoAll_6 (640x427).jpg DoAll_7 (640x427).jpg DoAll_8 (640x427).jpg DoAll_9 (640x427).jpg

CraigB1960

New Member Liaison
since the truck and trailer and forklift was available we decided to bring it home.
I kept the porch light on, but you never showed up???????

Congratulation, that is a nice looking lathe plus tooling; especially for the price.

[6]
[5] [7]