DoAll 16" ML band saw speed indicator install

I'm very happy to see that you made it work! There's lots of fine detail between an idea and its execution. A fantastic job (and great write-up) as always.

For grins and giggles, I ran a Jacquet RPM/surface feet checker on the lower wheel. The Jacquet read 130 RPM or 544.5 FPM vs. my indicated 509 FPM (though with my 5% error, it's actually indicating 534 FPM). Don't know which one is more accurate, but the new tach gets me in the ballpark.

Bruce

Attachments

• 20210620_121411.jpg
    20210620_121411.jpg
    584.7 KB · Views: 4
Outstanding work Bruce.
I bet that's a handy upgrade.
Hi Jeff,

Biggest thing it showed me is I cut with the speed WAY too slow. According to the DoAll Job Selector, 1/4" 1018 steel would use a speed of 175-200 fpm with a 14 tpi blade. I'd usually cut at around 75 - 100 with the same blade. I did a trial cut on a 4" piece of 1/4" plate last night, not like cutting butter but made the cut in about a minute. Lots quicker than my slower fpm.

Bruce

Last edited:
Bruce -
If you really want to verify RPM, there are two things you can try. (1) Verify the circumference of the wheel with a narrow (easily bendable) tape measure. The nominal 16" diameter might be just a bit off, especially when you add the thickness of the tire. (2) If you have a larger wheel for your turns counter, you can probably get a more accurate reading. But both of these might come under the heading of straining at gnats. It sounds like even the approximate RPM reading you're getting is starting to pay off!

I meant to ask, what are you going to do with the old speedometer?

I meant to ask, what are you going to do with the old speedometer?
It'll most likely set and gather dust from now to eternity. . . Actually, one of our techs at work has it and plans on restoring it for sale on eBay. He's pretty handy and has rebuilt speedos in cars for years. He has an adjustable speed motor with a tach for a known reference to adjust the pre-tension on the needle's torsion spring.

Bruce

It'll most likely set and gather dust from now to eternity. . . Actually, one of our techs at work has it and plans on restoring it for sale on eBay. He's pretty handy and has rebuilt speedos in cars for years. He has an adjustable speed motor with a tach for a known reference to adjust the pre-tension on the needle's torsion spring.

Bruce
I was thinking that it would also make a very cool display on the wall. Glad that it will not go to waste.

Back