Does anyone have a Drill Doctor?

Pcmaker

Registered
Registered
I'm tempted to buy a Drill Doctor 750X after I've seen reviews of it on Yotube. Seems to be the consensus best/easiest way to re-sharpen dull drills.

I haven't seen any opinions stated yet by machinists. I was wondering if this tool is often used in the machining community.

I had one and it worked okay, Getting the bit in the proper position in the holder was hit and miss for me. I did successfully sharpen a load of bits, but it was a touch too fiddley for me.

I have one and was disappointed with its performance until I watched some YouTube videos that recommended settings different from the manufacturer. Much happier with it now.

Do a search on "drill doctor" or "drill dr" here, as there have been threads in the past.

I have one and was disappointed with its performance until I watched some YouTube videos that recommended settings different from the manufacturer. Much happier with it now.

Do a search on "drill doctor" or "drill dr" here, as there have been threads in the past.

Which video did you watch?

I had one for many years, but recently I gave it away. It took too much time to sharpen a bit an it never looked right. I watched all the videos and read all instructions and articles about it.
After I found this video I never went back to a Drill Doctor
Toms Techniques
When I was a kid in a high school shop classes, this was the only way they teach us how to do it. Fifty years later I realised that my teachers were right.

I have one. It works decent. As mentioned it can be fickle.

I have one. Had it for 25 years. I don't know if it is identical to the current 750 or not, but mine has been nothing but a pleasure. Easy, versatile, and precise. I sharpen big bits on my Sheckel, but for everyday metal bits I use the little DD. It has an indexing fixture in the side to position the bits and lock the collets, never had any problems there. Heavy grinds require re-indexing midway through because that's how helical flutes work. Small stuff is a quick and easy operation. You can have mine if you can pry it out of my cold, dead hands, otherwise you're going to have to get your own.

Those Drill Doctors are quite interesting. You can pay anywhere from $125 to $2,000 as I recall.
There has to be a difference. I think they use CBN/Diamond wheels. I wonder if there is a way to clean the wheels (remove the binder when glazed)
Let us know what you decide.

I agree with John (pontiac428). I've never tried to sharpen my own bits before, but I bought a Drill Doctor 750X a few months ago and have been totally satisfied. It strikes me as being pretty much idiot proof. I've only sharpened a handful of bits so far - as large as 1/2" - and every one has turned out extremely well. I'd have no hesitation to buy it again or to recommend it.

Regards

Back