Does anyone have a Drill Doctor?

I am looking to buy a drill sharpener. The company I work for has a Black Diamond 2B drill sharpener. I use it to sharpen my drills. It works great down to 1/16. It does not split the point. I have been looking for a used Black Diamond sharpener and they ether do not have any collets or they are way out of my price range.
I know someone who is selling a Darex M4 sharpener but it does not have the 1/16" to 1/2" collet. The 1/16-1/2" collets show up on E-Bay but you do not know it they are worn out. Darex does not support the product any more.
The MR-13 sharpener looks good but I am a bit concerned about the quality of the Chinese tool.
Fore the people who have the MR-13 sharpeners knowing what you know now would you buy one again? Would you recommend it to a friend? I would really like to sharpen drills down to almost 1/16".
Any information would be great.

Roger L
Here's a Black Diamond BW-70 that is currently listed on eBay.

It looks to be in good shape, and has quite a number of collets. Note the asking price is $450.00 Or Best Offer. If the thing is in decent shape it's an excellent price. They go for around $8,000.00 new depending on the accessories you order. Here's a link to the products they offer

As for the missing collets you can either buy them from the company for about $42.00 each, or make some. I made 7 for my model 65 drill grinder. Here's a picture of the collets for my machine. The bright ones are the ones I made. Note there are a few extra blanks for additional collets should I need to make more in the future.

Attachments

• DSC09988A.JPG
    DSC09988A.JPG
    144.9 KB · Views: 14
I have an older one. I forget the model number but I still use it. I do wait until I have bunch of dull bits because it is a little time consuming. I works great though!

Projectnut:
Thanks for the information. I looked at the E-Bay link and that grinder only goes up to 11/32". I would like to find something that goes to at least 1/2". There was a guy in my area selling a model 2 with no collets. I was tempted but when I contacted Black Diamond and found out how expensive the collets were I decided no. A few weeks ago I poked on E-Bay and found a guy selling almost a complete set of collets for $250. I am not in a hurry to buy. I can still use the Black Diamond grinder at work.
I like the idea of the individual collets for each drill size. The Darex grinder uses one set of fingers to go from 1/16" to 1/2". That is a very wide range and try to keep the drill on center.

Roger L

Harley80:
When you say you have an older model sharpener. Is it a MR-13 style grinder? How long does the wheel last?

Thanks
Roger L

To resurrect an old thread ...

Those of you who bought the MR-13x grinders ... where did you buy them? Amazon? eBay? AliExpress (any particular vendor)? Banggood?

Thanks!!

Back