Does anyone know what these tools are for?

GKShop

Registered
Registered
Hi All,

I bought a lot of a variety of machinist tools on ebay; reamers, drill bits, endmills etc., but I'm not quite sure what to make of these things. the items in photos 1 look like some sort of punch, but neither end appears to have ever been hit, so I doubt that's it. I am not sure at all what to make of the item in the second photo. It is a straight bar, center drilled, turned down slightly and flats milled on both ends. The text reads 'B&S MFG.CO. PROV. RI. USA 3/8"' I have these in a couple of sizes and they range from 4-5" long. Any thoughts or guesses would be appreciated!IMG_0384.jpgIMG_0386.jpgIMG_0388.jpg

Photo 2.
Arbor for turning between centers.
They should have about .002 taper.
Thanks Jim. So is the taper to secure stock? Ie you drill a 3/8 hole and mount the stock on mandrel...or is it something else completely?

I think the bullet nosed pins in pic.1 are pilot punches for punch press dies. They locate the stock from previously punched holes.

Thanks all, for your help. Now I know what they are, no idea what to do with them really, but I know what they are.

Back