Does Anyone Recycle Their Chips?

No, have not gotten a red note yet. However, I did try and give them about 5 gal of used motor oil the other day and they didn’t take it? I had it in the orginal oil containers. Instead, The guy left me a one gal jug with a generic recycle flyer attached to it. I guess it’s 1 gal at a time and in there special jug?

Interesting, I did not think they would take motor oil. I will have to check with our waste management co.

Thanks

Joe

All my metal scraps:
- Replaced Car parts
- Chips
- Unusable leftovers from plumbing projects
- Nails from the bottom of the wood stove
- No longer serviceable bolts, nuts, screws, washers...
- Obsolete computer cases
- Cut off pieces of stock that are too small for something else (under 1.5" in all 3 dimensions). (Any one else have a standard for "usable salvage" vs. "scrap for reclamation"?)
- etc. ad nausium.

Get accumulated for a year or two and go to the local scrap yard as "white metal". I usually deliver around a ton and walk away with US$150 to US$200.

No sorting. Lots of overflowing buckets and quite a few hand-carried pieces.

And then of course there is always the home foundry idea- I am building a furnace and planning on reclaiming all that swarf for stock- It's the "economical" thing to do :)

I've bee considering this route as well. Co-worker, who's a hobby machinist as well, turned me on to this site: https://www.abana.org/ronreil/design1.shtml#Half
He built the "Minimongo" burner for his home foundry. Says it works great. He'd also told me about "Sand Casting" for rough casting. Basically, carving a form out of styrofoam with a pour spout with top, burying it in regular sand, and pouring the molten aluminum in. Said the metal burns off the styrofoam displacing it, but fills in the void keeping the form.
Anyone tried this ? and are there any issues with affects to the metal changing the properties for reuse ?

Thanks mike and JPigg, I doubt the wife will allow foundry operations, she rolls her eyes at the lathe and mill as it is. :)

But a guy has to have his man cave.

Joe

I hide them in with the burn-waste and leave them at the deposit station. :aok:

Will the commercial recycle places buy chips and shavings? Around here they buy almost every form of scrap.

Will the commercial recycle places buy chips and shavings? Around here they buy almost every form of scrap.

The place I use makes sure that you aren't bringing in anything radioactive. After that, they pay based on the difference in the weight of your truck coming in minus going out.

I get waved over to a 10' tall mound of scrap and told to dump it near the base. Used fire extinguishers and disposable propane bottles are put back on the truck.

Interesting, I did not think they would take motor oil. I will have to check with our waste management co.

Thanks

Joe
Check at local auto parts suppliers- there are laws in many places obliging them to
Take at least the oil they sell in original containers - no mixing, etc. Ask locally......
BLJHB.

Back