Does Anyone Remember An Oxyweld?

I have one. My first "welding" outfit. Got a nasty burn on my left hand lighting the oxygen pellet. It did work good for my old truck floor patch job...Bob

I had a similar unit which used the small oxygen bottles. I was on a fishing trip in northern Wisconsin and an encounter with a sand bar broke a piece in the outboard throttle linkage. It was a weekend and the only local welder was out of acetylene so I made a trip to a nearby town to find someone who could make a repair. Every thing was closed but I found a Bernz-o-Matic oxy-propane unit at a hardware store. Back at the cabin, I brazed the part to make it serviceable and saved the trip.

Subsequently, I made a carrier for the propane tank and a medical O2 tank which I took with me for a number of years afterward. I used MAPP gas instead of propane for a hotter flame and used it for small jobs where I didn't want to lug the big tanks but the MAPP gas/air torch wasn't enough.

Oh, and a friend gave me one of the Solid Ox setups years later; useless (although I kept the propane connection and the torch).

Bob
Oxy-propane Rig .JPG

I had one, used it to rebuild a 36 Doge coupe! never had a problem with it. Only reason I stopped using it the rebuild was done and I had no other use for it. Only had a few problems with the tablets and humidity in this area in the summer can be a killer. And cold and damp in the winter.

I had one that I got from Sears in the 70's and set it up the same as above with a medical oxygen bottle and propane when the pellets ran out and I still use it for brazing when I can't get to the work with my big torch. I like it's portability.

I had one fron Sears in the 70's. Used it for brazing and welding using coat hangers for rods on thin steel. By the mid 80's it was difficult to find the oxygen pellets, Sears had stopped carrying them. Finally purchased a small oxi acetaline
torch that was very portable. I still use it today.
Vern C

I had one back in High school too. It was what I started learning to weld and braze with. Not much but it was what I had. It was only good for sheet metal and those pellets, well lets just say they didn't burn at a even rate.
Mark

I had one back in high school too. There were no suppliers near us, so I had to mail order the oxygen pellets. It was very pricey, and only got used a few times. Another problem was the reaction between the oxygen, heat, and aluminum cylinder that the pellet burned in. It corroded the aluminum very quickly. It was pretty ingenious idea for the time, but overall a fail.

GG

I had one; found out that if you put oil on the tablets then lit them they would burn through almost anything. (NEVER light one on fresh pavement!) Btw, this was when I was in school and experimented with everything.

Wow. I had one also, still have it in fact. Paid $25 for it. Was never able to find any more of the pellets, though. Like others, I found that it worked rather well for brazing, but for cutting or welding it was disappointing.

So my question to all of you chemistry majors out there is this: Just what can you burn that produces excess oxygen as it burns??

Back