Dog door help?

MikeInOr

Registered
Registered
I am replacing an exterior double patio door with a single door. I would like to install a thru the wall dog door for my 80lb German shepherd at the same time. As usual reviews on Amazon are all over the place on dog doors. Pricing is also all over from about $100 to over $800. Temperatures in my area ranges from over 100 degrees Fahrenheit to below zero Fahrenheit. The door will be in my bedroom so a door that doesn't leak will be needed.

Does anyone have any dog door experience they would like to share? Good or bad doors?

After going through all the reviews and all the different prices I am half tempted to get some acrylic or polycarbonate and make my own dog door. Has anyone made their own?

Right now this is the dog door that sounds best:

A collar activated lock or anything like that is not needed.

Last edited:
The only experience we've had was building a homemade one similar to the one you linked. In our case it was a much simpler affair in that it was a vinyl flap built into the wall of the screen porch. Leaking was not a concern since it only let the dogs go from outdoors to the shelter of the porch. Once on the porch they would just enter the main pedestrian door to the house. We adjusted the latch on the door so they could push it open by themselves.

When we left for vacation, we slid a couple aluminum plates (one on each side) into channels I built into the opening for that purpose. The plates would keep the other critters (cats, opossums, squirrels, chipmunks, skunks, rabbits, coyotes, etc., etc.) from coming in. Our dogs were only 30 lb. Cocker Spaniels, but the door I built was about the size listed for the 100 lb. dog. Our girls had no problem leaving or entering at full speed. Sometimes a rabbit or squirrel just needed to be chased the minute they exited the house.

The door that you have referenced appears to be the same door we have (I can't find the paperwork). It's been in use for 15 years with no problems. Highly recommended.

Since you mentioned 100 degrees, I'd recommend the 3 flap version. The additional vapor barrier will help on the cooling bill.

Sent from my SM-G736U using Tapatalk

I have been very happy (dog too) with Hale pet doors. I have 3 installed. These are very well made, they have replacement parts. The flaps need to be replaced once in a great while.

I have one installed in a wall. The others are installed in aluminum framed store front walls. These are dual flap models with magnets that hold the flaps in the closed position when not in use.

halepetdoor.com is the website.

Not inexpensive, but worth it in my opinion.

I am replacing an exterior double patio door with a single door. I would like to install a thru the wall dog door for my 80lb German shepherd at the same time. As usual reviews on Amazon are all over the place on dog doors. Pricing is also all over from about $100 to over $800. Temperatures in my area ranges from over 100 degrees Fahrenheit to below zero Fahrenheit. The door will be in my bedroom so a door that doesn't leak will be needed.

Does anyone have any dog door experience they would like to share? Good or bad doors?

After going through all the reviews and all the different prices I am half tempted to get some acrylic or polycarbonate and make my own dog door. Has anyone made their own?

Right now this is the dog door that sounds best:

A collar activated lock or anything like that is not needed.
Looks like the one put in
Takes one hour to install in the wall.
Note they have a wall kit and get 2x4 for wall too.

I have put more one and found the wall works the best.

I install for a 85 pound English Pointers.

Dave

I've got the PetSafe version through the wall. It is the double flap version. In the winter it let's very little air through. I only put the flap down at night. Has already stated in another post, you have to replace the flaps every once in awhile. I just replaced mine after about 6 years. I couldn't imagine not having this thing.

Attachments

• 17122558981071584867523921735427.jpg
    17122558981071584867523921735427.jpg
    111.5 KB · Views: 8
In your bedroom? Won't it leak enough to make it cold in the winter. Heat is less of an issue but cold goes down low and with blowing winds I would think the bedroom is the worst location, the kitchen a better location.

Nothing like a cold bedroom to get close in the middle of the night. For years my wife liked it cold in the bedroom. She would close the door and open a window for "fresh air" regardless of the temperature. One morning, we and the dogs (2) crawled out from under the covers it was so cold in the room I could see my breath. My wife looked over to her glass of water on the nightstand and it was frozen solid. Needless to say we now temper how and when the windows are left open.

Last edited:
Back