Doing things backwards

I went to the local salvage yard and found two steel box beams 10x12 inch with 7/16ths wall. They are both 61 inches long.
590 total pounds. So will lay the 12inch side on the floor, tack weld the two together, drill the boxes to take the bolt down for the grizz

The box beams will run in the same direction as the table giving 30 inches either side of center to stop any tipping issues. This raises the table 10 inches and will make working on the grizz more enjoyable for my back. I have a small fork lift that will allow me to lift the entire unit by sliding the forks in the box beam

I went to the local salvage yard and found two steel box beams 10x12 inch with 7/16ths wall. They are both 61 inches long.
590 total pounds. So will lay the 12inch side on the floor, tack weld the two together, drill the boxes to take the bolt down for the grizz

The box beams will run in the same direction as the table giving 30 inches either side of center to stop any tipping issues. This raises the table 10 inches and will make working on the grizz more enjoyable for my back. I have a small fork lift that will allow me to lift the entire unit by sliding the forks in the box beam
just remember the mill is top heavy, so secure it with straps to the forklift back grate. you don't want to be one of the many asking how to fix it after it falls over. secure it good .. better safe than sorry.

So, I am almost ready to mount these two very heavy box beams. Once that is done the jobs I have scheduled for this equipment involve designing and producing punches and dies for another piece of equipment newly purchased. Its a 10 Ton Press, that uses the mommentum of a spinning flywheel to engage a crankshaft which slams the punch into the dye. This unit was produced in the early 50s I believe and I am hoping it will
So the plan is, fit the Grizz with the same sort of electrical arrangement as my DIY plasma table uses but with much stronger and more robust motors for a 4 axis unit, that part does not scare me.
Then I need to get better at conFusion 360 and produce the punches and dyes for cutting on the Grizz. That part does not scare me.
The part that scares me is I will be cutting these punches and dye's in solid steel so need to learn quickly cutting speeds and cutting depths that can be achieved and most importantly the setup of the material for optomimum results.
That setup scares me and the enormous amount of what I do not know works for cutting tools in different situations scares me.

I belong to a couple of FB Machine shop threads that offer measuring tools, cutting tool bits etc etc. I look at the pictures and ponder whether I need it or not, if I based it on what I don't have, I probably could have purchased $3000 in the "incorrect tools" thus far, but I am curbing that urge.
So for about a year I will be operating a machine and not trying to fake being a machinist.

One of the things that attracted me to this Grizz (Chinese or not) was the head can turn on its axis which is one of the things I need.
I have a couple of old Butterfly air tools so have started to gather parts for a air operated draw bar.

To accomodate the 4axis once I get the CNC aspect completed I will need to create a carriage to hold the work and spin the work on an axis parallel to the length of the table. So I am looking forward to the challenge.

just remember the mill is top heavy, so secure it with straps to the forklift back grate. you don't want to be one of the many asking how to fix it after it falls over. secure it good .. better safe than sorry.
Yes thanks for that! Once I won the auction I downloaded a manual and immediately learned that in the case of the 0761 and 0755 you slip a strap under the head next to the head support and lift the head, to lift the unit. Just not sure what the extra 500 pounds of weight will do to that concept. So will lift from the box beams. I have chainsawed some 6x6 into a nice fit in the box beam with the fork lift fork inserted. So each fork has a 6 by 6 strapped to the bottom of the fork, and a 2x6 on the top of the fork, I then banded the entire thing together. So when I push the fork lift into the 12x10 box beam the fork fits snug and the Grizz cannot tip when I lift it.

So as I study these large steel pieces I have decided to use the 10 inch side to raise the mill 10 inches. Then I will seperate the two pieces and put two pieces of 4x2 square stock 60 inches long between the two 12x10s top and bottom. Then I will tack weld a sheet of 1/8th as end caps on both ends and a piece to make the entire thing one smooth flat surface. Once thats done I will drill through the 1/8th and 7/16s box beam then tap the holes for the bolts to hold the mill to this 600 pound anchor.
this way if I ever have to remove the mill I never have to move the 600 pound anchor with it.

We will jam the raw ends of the wire into the electrical panel with a 10 foot pole

Before you do that please double check the voltage required by your motor.
I don't know that machine, but some motors allow the user to rewire for a supply different voltage.

Also, check that the pole is non-conductive ;)

Be safe!
Brian

I now have a 65 inch long weight that equals 590 pounds and the milling machine is bolted to it with Grade 8 bolts. The table top is 41 inches from the floor so I do not have to bend over to work on it. Just bending some steel for a top to cover the wood, then conduit will go through it, and it should be ready to go
71778263349__55F4B35B-65A0-4E80-9E06-F8A627C1E5D8.jpg

@Turbine-Wine What a monster of a base! wow! The mill looks in great shape - you got a good deal. Nice clean shop, too!

I'm north of you in the big C. One day I'll run down the highway and say hello...

Several of the guys here have CNCs some Haus, some homebrew. We should keep in touch.

@Turbine-Wine What a monster of a base! wow! The mill looks in great shape - you got a good deal. Nice clean shop, too!

I'm north of you in the big C. One day I'll run down the highway and say hello...

Several of the guys here have CNCs some Haus, some homebrew. We should keep in touch.
Would love that, we are just a group of old guys who try to make stuff. Some of it works, some of it not so much. I drew the short straw so now I am the "machinist/machine operator" for the group. I soon will be the President of the "Broken End Mills Club", I will let you know when the next meeting is :)

Back