Doing things "they" say you shouldnt do...

JoatTX

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Such as, pulling that annoying thread on your shirt. It never ends well and usually you end up with a hole in your shirt

One I figured out today is if there is a small spot of crinkly paint on the motor countershaft bracket of your 73 year old logan/MW lathe, don't rub it with a stainless steel toothbrush type detail brush

This leads to a partially disassembled lathe, a fully disassembled motor bracket/countershaft assembly, old paint dust all over the workshop, decisions to be made about what color to repaint it, and thoughts of "along as it's apart I should go ahead and change the Oilite bearings."

It's been a long day...

Joat

It's due for a rebuild. If you haven't taken it apart yet, it's due.
Enjoy the rebuild... they can be satisfying , educational, and a good time to make that lathe even better.

We have all been there and will go again for the fun of it........but it will come when you don't expect or have time for it realy.

You think I'd know better after playing with old guns and trucks.

Oh well, I can always stop after the motor and countershaft bracket...

I find it best to start this sort of project with intent and planning. All of my automotive restorations have begun with a blown engine. "Oh well, now that I can't drive it I might as well...."

I wasn't planning on starting a project, now I have manage it.. lol

Back