Don't forget to tighten the part

woodchucker

Registered
Registered
Was making a new draw bar, put the drawbar in the square collet block, I didn't tighten it, I said to myself let me get it setup in the vice so I have the right amount of stick out so I can put a square on the bar. Well, got it setup , never tightened the collet down, and started cutting. It cut the first 1/4 inch cleanly. I didn't think anything wrong, I was climb cutting... then WHAM... it sucked the part in and jammed up. Taking a nice chunk out of my new drawbar. Right where you don't want it. I'll be ordering more rod, it's the last of my 1144 in that size.. For the moment it will work.. The moral of the story... Don't put off what you SHOULD do now until later.. you forget as your age increases. (dumb sh*t)

I forget to tighten tools. Not so much in the CNC mill as the spindle has a lock to dacilitate tightening the drawbar and with the lock in place, the door can't be closed which prevents the spindle interlock switch from closing and the spindle from turning. On the lathe however, it is easy to forget to tighten the QCTP. Fortunately, this pushes the tool bit away from the work so there is usually no harm done.

I forget to tighten tools. Not so much in the CNC mill as the spindle has a lock to dacilitate tightening the drawbar and with the lock in place, the door can't be closed which prevents the spindle interlock switch from closing and the spindle from turning. On the lathe however, it is easy to forget to tighten the QCTP. Fortunately, this pushes the tool bit away from the work so there is usually no harm done.
I wonder why I’m getting so much chatter…

Back