Dovetail cutter / radius cutter for aluminum

Reddinr

H-M Supporter - Diamond Member
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
So I have a small project. I need to mill into an existing assembly an arca-swiss dovetail. Arca-swiss is a sort-of standard for mounting photography equipment to tripods, etc. The dovetail is 45 degrees and the thing I'm machining is some sort of anodized aluminum. I don't want to buy an attachable plate because I need to minimize the overall height and it happens that the rail is just slightly wider than needed, perfect.

So, I'm looking for a decent 45 Deg. dovetail cutter and a 1/16" radius cutter that will work well with aluminum. I have an RF-45 style mill, 3600 RPM maximum. What is a decent quality brand of cutter and source that won't break the bank?

Also, what is a tough, black finish I can put back on the machined surfaces? (Not anodize.)

Thanks!

Here is (roughly) the profile I'm going for.
1687805842686.png

What I'm making:
I am making a stepper-controlled focusing rail for macro photography. I found some low cost, used THK rail assemblies and I'm using one of them for this.

The rail:
20230626_120651[1].jpg

If you are just going to use it for this, woodworking router bits work fine on aluminum and are cheap. I am a photographer and made a few lens plates, for the bottom radius, I just used a file to round it over, it is not critical at all. Take a look at your clamp to see how much of a radius is on the inside corner to see how much you need to do on the plate, my clamps have a fairly sharp corner, so just knocking off the edge would be enough. For my 45 degree cutter, I believe I bought one of the house brand cutters at Travers, it says made in China, but it works just fine on aluminum.

I can’t help on the durable finish, I just spray painted mine since I didn’t have the capability to do anything else, and that did not hold up for very long.

I would be interested in seeing your macro rail when you get it done. I haven’t done much macro, but I am doing more product photography and a motorized rail might be nice for that.

Didn't think about router bits. I might even have one.
I'll post a pic. of my completed rig once I get done with it. I actually started this quite a while ago but shelved it due to other projects getting in the way.

My goal is to do "focus stacking" to get a large depth of field. The motorized rig should make that easy and fast.

Can you grind a profiling D-bit that combines the dovetail and the radius? It's a little dovetail, in aluminum, so not much load... make it a single step process.

Hmm. No router bit on hand. It looks like the radius that is on the part will be fine for one edge and I'll probably file the other radius.

Most of my projects have been shelved at various stages, I'm not sure what the count is currently lol

Focus stacking is exactly what I was thinking about for product photographer, I look forward to seeing what you do with this.

You can cut a bit for a smaller fly cutter to cut the exact shape you need.
As far as paint, consider using Rustoleum etching primer , followed by the rustoleum paint of your choice,
Fly cutters can be used with small cuts to profile ..

As far as paint, consider using Rustoleum etching primer , followed by the rustoleum paint of your choice,
The etching primer is a good idea, I'll have to try that on my next rail. I did not use a primer since I didn't have any on hand, but that might help.

Rust-Oleum makes several etching primers, and also recommends their Universal Bonding Primer for Aluminum: best to check with Rust-Oleum for a specific recommendation.

After some research, I recently used their Universal Matte Farmhouse Black spray paint combined primer/paint) on an exterior Aluminum post light column and it came out looking like it had been powder coated, with a smooth, hard, matte finish that has held up to daily rubbing from the garden hose without any wear. I used 220 wet/dry AO paper and a green Scotch-Brite pad (both wet) to remove loose paint & feather, rinsed with water and a final wipe with 91% Isopropyl Alcohol. Then 3 costs of paint. All of this outside in the Sun with a light breeze (after thoughtfully moving my wife’s car).

You make be able to find a local outfit that can anodize the finished part as part of a larger run at a reasonable price. The disadvantage of paint on a sliding part is that it will wear off; anodizing creates a hard surface layer that is reasonably wear resistant.

Back