Down Under wonder

Pretty neat! They look much more intelligent than our tree rats.
Ooh, don't about that, these little blokes are not really up there for thinking either. Very short attention span as well.

It's a lot of work to care for that many sick/injured/orphaned animals. Kudos!
Thanks - More down to my wife and daughter. After this Sunday we will be down to 2 in care. Then we are taking a break for a while.
Unfortunately domestic cats and dogs are the biggest problem with our wild life. Both are introduced species in this country and the native animals have not evolved any defences against them. Unfortunately a lot of cat owners dont keep their cats in at night and they inflict a terrible amount of death and injury to the native wildlife. Not just possums. A lot of other little marsupials, reptiles and birds.
If a possum gets a puncture wound from a cats teeth, even if the initial wound is not life threatening for the animal, it will die without medical treatment because of the bacteria on the cats teeth. The biggest natural predator for Ringtail possums here in Australia are a big Owl called a "Powerful Owl" (there are also a couple of other Owls whos names escape me atm) and Goannas. The natural reaction from a possum when it perceives a threat is to freeze which make them harder for an Owl or Goanna to see. Sadly for the possum, when the predator is a cat (or dog) all this does is give the cat more time to get closer and strike.
Anyway, thanks for your interest and my apologies for letting this thread get a bit Off Topic

regards
Peter (bollie7)

Down Under Wonder- welllllll not quite -
I've cut and pasted a bit of this from my other post in another thread
Long story involving an ex wife and near bankruptcy because of said ex wife. In my other life I had a 16 metre L X 8 metre D X 2.7 metre high at the wall shed, complete with insulation and 3 phase power. You dont realise how much stuff you accumulate until you have to move on.
Anyway I've moved all the gear I managed to keep three times in the last five years. I remarried almost two years ago and my new wife and I have been spending a lot of time renovating the old house we have. Every now and then I have been able to fit in a little time in the shed slowly getting it organised.
The current shed is 6.5 metres long X 3.2 metres wide. I also have a single garage under the house and some additional storage under the house.
I'm still in the setting up process (this working for a living really slows you down .lol). I have a few steel drawer cabinets which you can really store some stuff in. I still have a Bridgeport clone in the garage which I will have to pull apart to move up the back yard to the shed (sloping block). The only access into the shed is though a single side hinged door about 1 metre wide so even if I was able to get the mill up there in one piece it wouldn't go through the door. (sometimes I think basket weaving might have been a better choice for using up my spare time).
I have a small McMillan (Lontaine) lathe, Old Australian made "Richardson" drill press,bench grinder, mig welder and a pile of assorted bits and pieces. I'm still thinking about how/where I'm going to fit the mill in. I'm fairly sure I'll have to relocate some stuff from the back shed to under the house.
The pics show a view taken from roughly the centre looking at each end. Also a shot of one of the local ladies just outside the door.
regards
bollie7
Hi Mate

And the same to you Brendan.
We will be passing through your fair city sometime next Tues afternoon. Going to visit my old aunt who lives at Morayfield. Wont be able to stop though as we have a fairly tight schedule.
bollie7

And the same to you Brendan.
We will be passing through your fair city sometime next Tues afternoon. Going to visit my old aunt who lives at Morayfield. Wont be able to stop though as we have a fairly tight schedule.
bollie7
Maybe one day
Brendan

I have gotten wrecker(tow) trucks with their typical short cranes on the back to move machines more than once. Cost me about $50.00 each time(some time ago!!),but they got the job done.

Could a wrecker get up to your door with the Bridgeport hung from its crane? The standard automotive tow trucks can certainly handle the weight with no problem.

I don't know what you call these tow trucks in australia,so I hope I'm being clear enough.

I don't mean TILT BED trucks,though I did get one to move very large lathes twice.

I have gotten wrecker(tow) trucks with their typical short cranes on the back to move machines more than once. Cost me about $50.00 each time(some time ago!!),but they got the job done.

Could a wrecker get up to your door with the Bridgeport hung from its crane? The standard automotive tow trucks can certainly handle the weight with no problem.

I don't know what you call these tow trucks in australia,so I hope I'm being clear enough.

I don't mean TILT BED trucks,though I did get one to move very large lathes twice.

My old boss had a CNC machine center moved with a large truck wrecker with a boom. If his mill has a bolt hole on top for a big eye bolt that would be great way to lift it.

Over here, just about all the "tow trucks" for cars are tilt trays these days. Only see the crane "tow trucks" used for heavy duty truck and bus recovery. Couldn't get them to break wind in bed for $50 let alone do a lift!

When I was delivering cars for a auto auction back in 1970's, those big truck wreckers charged $50 bucks to turn the key. Don't even want to guess what they charge today.

So they don't have boom trucks, any chance of a contractor style four wheel drive fork truck you can rent?

Back