Dpdt switch to reverse old Craftsman motor?

JustTrimitaLittle

Registered
Registered
I have a Gen 2 Craftsman 150 drill press I’m working on getting in order. It has a 113.12140 motor on it with reverse capability via swapping wires on the control panel. I don’t know why but I’m having a massive brain fog as to how I could wire this to a dpdt toggle. I have a on/off/on switch that I’d like to use and I think as long as I let the motor come to a complete stop I’d be good to go with it. If I could figure out the wiring! Idk why but the yellow and blue wires are blocking me from processing it. Any input? Here are some pictures. The switch is just a simple toggle. Any help here would be much appreciated!

Attachments

• IMG_5161.jpeg
    IMG_5161.jpeg
    336.3 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_5108.jpeg
    IMG_5108.jpeg
    267.2 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_5162.jpeg
    IMG_5162.jpeg
    372.5 KB · Views: 20
Shouldn't be too difficult- you need 4 wires to the dpdt- blu and yel and the two vacated lugs
Need to extend all four of those to the switch

Last edited:
To reverse the motor direction, you need to reverse the start windings (blue and yellow). This can be done with a cross coupled dpdt switch. The blue and yellow wires would be connected to 5 & 6 and two additional wires would be run from SW1 & SW2 to the terminals previously connected to the blue and yellow wires. Note that this doesn't shut the motor off and a separate on/off switch is needed. In order to to so with a single switch, a third pole is needed as shown in the diagram below. If two switches are used, the dpdt switch should not be a center off as in the center position, the motor wouldn't start but the run winding will be energized which could cause overheating and burnout.
Reversing Switch Wiring.JPG

Shouldn't be too difficult- you need 4 wires to the dpdt- blu and yel and the two vacated lugs
Need to extend all four of those to the switch
Ohhhhh!!! I missed those empty lugs!! Worst part is I had to scrape the nuts and washers off the diagram on the cover plate when I cracked it open to run a new power lead. So I’d just need add those in and then figure out which wire goes to which terminal with no need to jumper?

To reverse the motor direction, you need to reverse the start windings (blue and yellow). This can be done with a cross coupled dpdt switch. The blue and yellow wires would be connected to 5 & 6 and two additional wires would be run from SW1 & SW2 to the terminals previously connected to the blue and yellow wires. Note that this doesn't shut the motor off and a separate on/off switch is needed. In order to to so with a single switch, a third pole is needed as shown in the diagram below. If two switches are used, the dpdt switch should not be a center off as in the center position, the motor wouldn't start but the run winding will be energized which could cause overheating and burnout.
View attachment 484032
So is what he said above not going to work given the 2 empty lugs actually would be getting used on the board? I just completely missed the fact that those were terminals. The way you have it wired here makes sense (I think) but I swear I have read in the past that it could be done single switch without the bulk of a drum switch.

Sorry I’m running on too little sleep I think.

To clarify: Vacated lugs means the ones that blu and yel were plugged on originally, if that wasn't clear.
And you would need two switches, one dpdt for direction and another spst for power.

A "Drum" switch can do it all in one switch. Or as RJ mentioned, you could use a 3PDT center off switch.
I'll do a sketch also, showing a couple ways to do it- stay tuned

Last edited:
Yeah now I got it I think, basically if I want one switch I need to go drum. Other wise whatever I do will require 2 switches, one to energize and one to flip the connection. So the on/off/on I have is useless in this instance as he said above right? It’ll leave the motor with juice but no where to put it. So I’ll have to either go drum or find a dpdt with no off and normal on/off toggle. I’m trying to declutter the dp head while also getting reverse to back out taps.
Its amazing how limited the selection of switches is locally.

To clarify: Vacated lugs means the ones that blu and yel were plugged on originally, if that wasn't clear.
And you would need two switches, one dpdt for direction and another spst for power.

A "Drum" switch can do it all in one switch. Or as RJ mentioned, you could use a 3PDT center off switch.
I'll do a sketch also, showing a couple ways to do it- stay tuned
Wait… the yellow and blue wires were initially others and not the clips? It’s currently running in forward with them on the clips like in the picture.

Maybe I just leave well enough alone and stick to manual tapping until I more learning time.

The great era of local hardware stores is over, I'm afraid. Pretty much have to order everything these days
Here are the two basic ways you could wire it: (RJ's would be the third way with a 3-pole toggle switch)
There are also alternate "drum" switches from China with a zillion terminals that require several jumpers
2connectionsm1.jpegDrumstyles1.jpeg

Last edited:
So is what he said above not going to work given the 2 empty lugs actually would be getting used on the board? I just completely missed the fact that those were terminals. The way you have it wired here makes sense (I think) but I swear I have read in the past that it could be done single switch without the bulk of a drum switch.

Sorry I’m running on too little sleep I think.
It can be done with a single switch but the switch has to be a 3pdt center off. The reason is that the run windings would otherwise always be energized, even with a center off switch. You are controlling three states with the switch. OFF, FORWARD, and REVERSE so you need the three positions. I used a switch like this on my lathe: It is completely configurable and can be used for single phase, three phase or dc motors.
If you need a smaller footprint, one like this would work.

note that this is true for an inductor motor with a start winding. A dc brush motor can be reversed with a simple dpdt switch.

a

Back