Drafting Board

fastback

Active User
Registered
OK, I know that this is not a metal working project, but since I built it for mechanical drawing I thought it might be appropriate. It started out as an old board that my Father-in-Law used many years ago. It had no base and the board was in tough shape. So this is what I came up with. Oh, the first picture is what I started with..

I did make all of the hardware such as handle and tilt mechanism.

000_0379.JPG 000_0385.JPG 000_0384.JPG

But it is Machining related. All projects start on paper. This is the part nobody sees. I have one and use it all the time. Very nice, thank you for sharing it with us.

"Billy G" :))

Great looking drafting table. A real, first class job.

I spent many hours at one of these when I was starting my career.
Looks like the parallel bar is original equipment.
Can't tell from the photo - is it the type which uses a thin aircraft cable with sheaves to hold it parallel?
The cable type had a thumb screw near the top, center of the board which was used to adjust the angle of the bar.
With the bar inclined, you used it for isometric views.
In all cases, you need a triangle to get vertical lines.
Terry S.

Yes, you are right it does have the cables and small little pulleys at each corner. I don't plan on doing any isometric drawings so the cable will stay as it has been for the last 40 years.

Very nice board. I have one I built over 30 years ago. Mine now gets used for SWMBO's house plants. All of my drawings are done on the computer.

Back