Drawer Liners/moisture Control

dlane

Active User
Registered
Hi all, setting up some more Kennedy tool boxes with bottom doors , i put plywood in bottoms to put larger tools on, will they cause a rust problem?. should i soak them with oil , or is there a better cheep alternative ?.

waiting on control box to finish setting up mill , came across Kennedy boxes cheep.
thanks
Derrrick

Here in Wisconsin, humidity is a problem in the summer and anything organic seems to attract mold and mildew in my basement shop. I prefer to use a heavy plastic sheet on the shelves for that reason. I have a wood office desk in the basement that I keep woodworking tools and I have not noticed any rusting. I can't see any issue with oiling the plywood.

i have all ways used outdoor carpet to line my boxes. nice and quiet. no problems with moisture.

I Put some of the anti slip / grippy mat in a couple of tool draws, it definetly caused some corrosion issues, i havnt had any problems with wood draws that I have made so far.

Stuart

Thanks for replies , I used the grippy mat in other boxs , guess that's coming out. I'm thinking 1/4"plywood with 50/50
Diesel/Trany fluid for box floors , keep my eyes open for indoor outdoor carpet for drawer lineing , see any issues with that ?.
Derrick

Tools stored in wood do not usually rust because the wood absorbs the moisture and keeps the air at a fairly constant humidity level. Metal drawers can get condensation on them as will the tools stored in them which results in rust. You can get silica packs that will absorb moisture, gun guys use them in the safes to control the humidity, especially on newly manufactured fire safes as they hold a lot of moisture from the fire lining.

Like brav said, the wood helps prevent rust so soaking it in oil would stop it from being able to soak up the moisture & stop it from being able to prevent rusting.

Rubbermaid makes a shelf liner material that has small hole grid in it. Comes in a variety of colors and two different widths. I installed this in a roll-away I bought 11 years ago. The liners are still holding up great and have not had a problem with rust on my precision tools, either!

Whatever you guys do, don't use shag carpet!!! for drawer liners...

Drawer liners made of plywood work good too as other have said. I prefer Fir plywood over other types.

I guess the geographical area where you live has a lot to do with moisture and how to deal with it. A lot of high end measuring tools come in wooden boxes must mean something so i'll use wood for the heavy things like vices , rotery base, lathe chucks, . the drawers i'm thinking artificial turf so things don't rattle around to much.
thanks
Derrick

My tools rust with oil on them where I live.

Last edited:
Back