Dremel drill press - a micro mill for plastic 80% lowers?

backbencher

Registered
Registered
I picked up an EP plastic blem 80% lower for $35, wondering what's the best way to finish it. I live in an RV, so even a standard drill press or a mini-mill is too big. I've been looking @ the 12V Dremel http://www.dremel.com/en-us/Tools/Pages/ToolDetail.aspx?pid=8220 with the drill press attachment:

http://www.dremel.com/en-us/Attachments/Pages/ProductDetail.aspx?pid=220-01

I think this will allow me to drill the FCS holes and slowly drill the top of the receiver out. As the Dremel can be used as a wood router, I am curious to know if it will work as a slow mill on plastic. Perhaps inaccurate, but I'm curious if it can be done. Some folks apparently use a Dremel by hand to complete EP lowers, so a drill press attachment might be a step up.

I've used a Dremel & Dremel drill press for milling plastic. Can't say that I would recommend milling with it to anyone but I have done it a lot in the past & successfully (not milling what you are asking about though). But it was the older 395 Dremel & the older model drill press. If you do of course please be attentive, parts can dig in, catch, & fly very easily.

I have seen some vireos (YouTube?) where people were cutting out plastic lowers using a Dremel tool. I know of one lower that is made to cut out just that way. It is molded with white plastic in the places that you need to cut out and you just grind with the Dremel tool until you don't see anymore white. This 80% lower thing has gotten a little ridiculous in my opinion. I am also from what I have seen, I am betting that you may be better off free handing the cut out and using the drill press for the holes.

Dremel tools have a very weak plastic tube that connects the motor to the chuck spindle. It is always giving way. Lowe's sells replacement couplings it is such a common failure. I don't know why Dremel doesn't just make this coupling part stronger . Maybe they like to make money selling spare couplings? Anyway,if your Dremel stops going around but the motor is running,that is what is wrong.

I do not recommend use of the Dremel for your application. But,if that is all you can accommodate,buy some spare couplings.

Some in the past have made their Dremels run truer by adding packing around the bearings,making them fit tighter. Apparently the ball bearings don't fit very tight into their molded sockets. That allows flexing of the cutter,very bad for a milling setup. I don't know if Dremel ever got around to making their bearings fit better or not.

I've used a Dremel, in the drill press attachment, for milling in the past, too, but mostly for wood. It's difficult to do it freehand (a fence helps) but the big problem is the speed... Dremels spin so fast that it's tough to avoid melting the plastic instead of cutting it, and if you slow them down they have little torque.

A real drill press with a cheap XY vise from HF would be better than a dremel. Dremels turn too fast and melt plastic. Plus the cutter can grab and theres really no rigidity to prevent it from jacking up the part. My 2 cents

A real drill press with a cheap XY vise from HF would be better than a dremel. Dremels turn too fast and melt plastic. Plus the cutter can grab and theres really no rigidity to prevent it from jacking up the part. My 2 cents

Of course a real drill press would be better, but I live in a RV & don't have room for a real drill press. Thanks for the comments - sounds like I'll just take it very slow & drill it out carefully. Dremel recommended this vise for the base:

http://www.micromark.com/quick-jaw-vise-2-1and4-inch-capacity,8093.html

I would think the dremel and press attachment would do fine as long as you use sharp cutters and take your time. Although depending on which 20% your lower needs done you maybe challenged by being able to reach where you need to get to. Drilling out the mag well is one area that comes to mind.

I haven't heard of a plastic lower before now. I see they are also made with Kevlar. If melting plastic is of concern try a aluminum lower. I bought 3 forged lowers about a year ago for $10 each.

Best of luck and hope picture are coming from the project.

Durwood

This drill press isn't much bigger than the Dremel:

View attachment 69844

They also have a tiny milling machine...

And @ 90W, I could run it off my inverter. And it'll run @ less than half the slowest speed of the Dremel, and about the same price as a nice Dremel + the drill press mount.

OTH, the spindle travel is 37% less than the Dremel drill press - 1.25" instead of 2". 1.25" is barely enough travel to drill out the trigger slot? The Dremel seems a bit more flexible for the price, the MicroLux would be more accurate.

Back