• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
  • PLEASE SUPPORT OUR FORUM - UPGRADE YOUR ACCOUNT HERE!
[4]

Drill bit repair?

January Project of the Month [3]
[10] Like what you see?
Click here to donate to this forum and upgrade your account!

WesPete66

Active User
I have a S&D drill bit of .875 diameter. It seems that the shank of it must be bent a bit. It doesn't matter how I chuck it up it wants to wobble at the tip, otherwise its a darn good tool. Is this something that can be remedied? how so?

Tinkertoy1941

H-M Supporter - Sustaining Member
H-M Supporter - Sustaining Member
Grip the fluted end in your lathe chuck, check for run out of the cutting edges when it run true, turn the shank true with the flutes.
Use a center drill to put a center in the shank and use a live center
Turn the shank only till it cleans up or a common size your happy with!
Shank will be softer than the flute.

Dave Smith

Active User
H-M Supporter-Premium Member
I would find a pipe or bushing with an ID of .875---slip the bit in and lay it on a couple v blocks and rotate it till you can mark the high spot on the shaft--clamp the tube down good and tap the high spot with a hammer and recheck it---repeat this process as many times as you need till you get it straight --It takes a little time but gets easier each time you straighten a drill shaft---Dave

GoceKU

In my opinion heat straightening is the only way, there is couple of good videos on youtube how to do it, but because of the time and heat involved may be cheaper just to buy a new drill.

[6]
[5] [7]