• We want to encourage those of you who ENJOY our site and find it USEFUL to DONATE and UPGRADE your membership from active member to donating or premium membership. If you want to know the differences in membership benefits, please visit THIS PAGE:

https://www.hobby-machinist.com/premium/

Donating memberships start at just $10 per year. These memberships are in fact donations that help pay our costs, and keep our site running!
    Thank you for your donation, God Bless You

• As some of you know, I have wanted to stop managing H-M for some time. It's a tremendous strain on my personal life. I want to set up my own shop. In September, September 15, to be exact, it will be 8 years that Hobby-Machinist has been in existence.

I have been training VTCNC to run things here. Dabbler is going to learn too. I feel that they are ready to start taking over the operation. I will be here to help in case they need, but I don't think they will. Tony Wells is and will be here also to consult with. I will be doing backups, upgrades, and installing addons. Other than that, I will not be around. I am leaving this place in good operating condition, and financial condition.
    --Nelson
[4]

Drill bit repair?

[3]
[10] Like what you see?
Click here to donate to this forum and upgrade your account!

WesPete66

Active User
H-M Supporter - Silver Member ($10)
I have a S&D drill bit of .875 diameter. It seems that the shank of it must be bent a bit. It doesn't matter how I chuck it up it wants to wobble at the tip, otherwise its a darn good tool. Is this something that can be remedied? how so?

Tinkertoy1941

H-M Supporter - Sustaining Member
H-M Platinum Supporter ($50)
Grip the fluted end in your lathe chuck, check for run out of the cutting edges when it run true, turn the shank true with the flutes.
Use a center drill to put a center in the shank and use a live center
Turn the shank only till it cleans up or a common size your happy with!
Shank will be softer than the flute.

markba633csi

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter - Gold Member ($25)
Sometimes you can bend the shank and get a little improvement- or make it worse! LOL
Mark

Dave Smith

Active User
H-M Supporter - Gold Member ($25)
I would find a pipe or bushing with an ID of .875---slip the bit in and lay it on a couple v blocks and rotate it till you can mark the high spot on the shaft--clamp the tube down good and tap the high spot with a hammer and recheck it---repeat this process as many times as you need till you get it straight --It takes a little time but gets easier each time you straighten a drill shaft---Dave

GoceKU

Registered
Registered
In my opinion heat straightening is the only way, there is couple of good videos on youtube how to do it, but because of the time and heat involved may be cheaper just to buy a new drill.

[6]
[5] [7]