Drill bits from Grizzly

The web is the part of the drill where the two flutes meet. It forms the point on the drill bit. If this isn't thinned, it walks rather than bites in. The shallow angle (probably 115*, not the usual 135*) compounds the problem. You only get what you pay for, if you're lucky.

I thought the standard was an included angle of 118 degrees. It seems a bit (sorry for the pun) silly to spend thousands on machinery and then use Chinese drill bits! Remember if the drill bit doesn't say HSS it isn't. Probably carbon steel and perhaps OK for wood and plastic, but not steel.

Here's part 1 of a 3 part video by tubalcain, concerning drill bits - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hJItj_ISurY

Like most of his material, I though this was excellent!

I have bought two sets of the Grizzly drills. Both sets have very short shanks for the chuck to grab, both sets dull very quickly and both sets get used almost every day. They are cheaper than the U.S. of A. drill bits so I use them till I break one then replace it with good drills. One thing I do is replace the most used sizes with good drill bits right away. They are not good drills for production use, but they are ok for hobby use. bob

I thought I might throw in my .02 here. I have the HF 29 piece Tin coated set that was on sale for cheap. They drill ok but do walk without a pilot hole.
But, the biggest problem I see with these and other Chinese bits is they are not straight, especially the smaller sizes.

Mike

Last edited:
I've ordered some brad point bits from them and they seem ok to decent. Some have a small bend in the bit shank so they wobble. The point helps with that issue.

I decided to spend an extra $40 and bought from HF a 115 piece cobalt drill set for $99.99. I am very happy with my purchase and I think it is a much better buy than the TiN coated drill bits from Grizzly.

I bought a 100+ piece set some years ago from HF. They were black and I paid $39.00. I did not like mine, I found them too hard they broke into pieces at almost every hole. I have never used anything that brittle. The smaller diameter bits were not straight at all. I got frustrated and gave the set to my neighbor. I then bought a set from HUOT same set fractions, number and letter drill bits. These are also black. The place I purchase from was selling the set for $165.00. Right after I purchased my set the price went up to $199. This is a nice set.

I bought a cobalt set from Mac Tools 25 years ago. I still use them with a little tune up with a drill doctor. Except for the smallest sizes, which I broke they are the best I ever found.

Do yourself a favor and save for quality drill bits. I can't tell you how many HF sets I went through before I figured that out. Nothing more frustrating than doing a project on the weekend and your only drill bit breaks. Of course I live in the country where there is no stores around for 20 miles.

There are some things you just cannot cut corners on. Drill bits are one of those items. I have no particular brand I stick with but whatever bits I have bought through the years I have always just bought USA made bits. In no way is this a judgement of those that don't do the same, but rather a suggestion to save yourself the trouble of under performance in bits.

I got the Grizzly bits for $49. Two smaller ones broke the 1st time I used them on a frill press in alum. Some I found out they were bent a little. BUY BETTER ONES!

Back