Drill Chuck run-out

ddickey

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
What is acceptable run-out?
I have an old Albrecht that is showing ~ .0025".
I'm not getting consistent readings either.

That is poor if it is a genuine Albrecht, have you stripped, cleaned and checked for damage?

I'm not familiar with the Albrecht brand, but if any of my Jacobs drill chucks ran out 0.0025" TIR (only 0.00125" off center) I certainly wouldn't be too concerned for my usage. That's better than some Chinese collets I've seen! :eek:

YMMV,
Ted

I took the hood and jaws off last night. cleaned it up. The hood has very little wear on it. The jaws look good too.
The piece I was using was .5", as I moved the table lower the run-out got worse.

Something is not right. Did you check the arbor connection, maybe it's not seated right?

I was thinking about that. How should I check it?

indicate the arbor with a .0001" DTI., preferably a balanced dial indicator, like Best Test.
If it's a straight shank, no problem..., R8, I would disconnect the arbor from the chuck and blue it first, Dykem Paste or dye., spin it gently in the chuck.
If it checks out, re-seat with one good tap (jaws in), on a solid wood table. Clean really well first, both taper and taper hole.
Spin slowly while inserting it straight, then one good gentle tap with a dead blow. Is it an Albrecht arbor? I only use Albrecht arbors on my ALbrecht chucks. Doesn't make sense to use a cheap arbor on precision chuck. :)

Last edited:
If the precision in your readings is questionable. Then that must be addressed first, before you can make a meaningful judgement on the chucks accuracy…Dave

I had about the same amount of run out with my used Albrecht/R8 chuck,but separated the chuck from the arbor and rotated it ~ 90°, made sure it was seated properly, the run out was much less , I don't think I'll ever have less than 0.010".

The published spec on a 1-13mm Albrecht is 0.0016in TIR.
When checking run out on the arbor, mark it, rotate it 180°, then check again.
Also, use different lengths of gage pins and precision dowel pins, 4" long.
check the TIR on the arbor by itself, w/o the chuck. Please let us know what you find.

Back