Drill chuck with solid collar rather than split collar

towntw

Registered
Registered
I have a Central Machinery T-583 drill press (16 speed, 1HP) I bought used about 18 years ago. Used it initially for a major project (lots of 1" holes through up to 1/2" steel) and have quietly used for small projects since. It's always been somewhat noisy, so decided to overhaul it. New bearings were replaced without issue. Went to rebuild the chuck (stamped at RJ3-16H). Having never done this before, I looked at several YouTube videos and web sites. Didn't seem too difficult. Pressed off the outer ring. Lo and behold - the threaded collar that adjusts the pins is solid, not split! I can't find any information about removing solid collars. (I may not be using the correct terminology?)

So how do you remove the collar to get the pins out? screwed all the way in or all the way out there isn't enough clearance to remove anything. Or should I simply chuck this chuck in the dumper and get something different?

Probably easier to just get a new chuck if that one is worn- if it's an import chuck you won't have an easy time finding parts

Pins? I'm assuming you mean the jaws?

I've only taken apart a bit more than a handful of keyed chucks but they all had split ring nuts. The split nuts are actually machined as a whole, then they are scored & intentionally broken into halves to be able to install them. I don't see how you could install the ring nut as one piece unless the check body comes apart?

You've caught my curiosity, could you post pics?

Unfortunately I didn't take any pictures. I would say it looks like a typical Jacobs chuck and identical to the one shown in this video - Rebuilding 5/8" drill chuck - with the exception that the collar on mine didn't seem to be split. I fully expected it to be split, but could find no trace of scoring or any seams or cracks. Nor could I find any method of disassembling the body, especially with the jaws still in place.

The ring did have a small bit of play, but nothing that would allow the jaws to be removed.

I ended up using brake cleaner while running the jaws in and out several times to clean it out. Then I packed the teeth of the jaws with grease, as much as I could expose them, ran the jaws in and out several times, and repacked them several times. Then pressed the outer shell back on.

This has considerably smoothed up the chuck.

At the same time, I ordered a new chuck, too.

Back