Drill grinding attachment

carlquib

Registered
Registered
I've been looking at these drill grinding attachments on eBay and was curious if anyone knew what they were a copy of? I haven't been able to identify where the original design came from. I suspect it might be German in origin but I don't know. Any help would be appreciated.

-Brian
ca2c59b5c0029718d0e5521c46ca789a.jpg

Sent from my SM-N976U using Tapatalk

Interesting, do you have a link to the eBay listing?

Interesting design, and thanks for the link! I tried searching for similar drill bit grinding attachments, and all that came up were of the somewhat flimsier (familiar) design. I also looked for customer feedback, but nothing yet. Probably worth looking at, so I've put this on my watch list.

It appears to be a very well thought out and useful tool grinding attachment. I assume that like most Chinese stuff, it is a copy of something. I'm just not sure where the original is from and would like to find out so I can look for one of the originals. I just think it is odd that all the US stock has suddenly vanished. I have a tool and cutter grinder but no way to grind drills other than a four facet grind. I would like to find a tool with built in cams so I could grind starter drills or center drills.

On the page listing the item it shows the sellers address is Rowland Heights CA. When you look at the feedback page the dealers address is listed as Hong Kong

I'm pretty sure there is a US warehouse that normally has stock for US orders. All the sellers I was watching on eBay were from somewhere in China, but appear to use the same US warehouse.

It does not appear to have a cam for grinding relief. I assume it is for a 4 facet grind.

I have a 5C workhead for my K O Lee. I adapted an ER32 collet chuck to it and use it to put 4 facet grinds on drills up to 3/4". I can switch to 5C collets and do 7/8, 15/16, and 1" drills.

If you search for 50K drill grinding attachment on YouTube you can find video of it being used. All of the videos I have found are in Chinese but some have subtitles. If you watch you can see it does have cams to do radial relief grinding. It is a very versatile fixture. I'm still fairly certain it is a copy of an older American or European tool, I just haven't been able to identify who the manufacturer was. In fact it seems you can't even buy a Chinese version in the US right now.

Back