Drill Press Accident

Ya gotta stay focused. If you talk to the people that have had accidents like that, you're going to hear similar responses. Just like he said he was thinking about that hard spot that he couldn't drill, and just wasn't focused.

I risked this too often, usually because trying to get variable width material in a stationary vise rarely results in the drill being in the required location.

One solution
I welded a rod to a plate, and then made a small mounting block that hangs off the edge of the table. It’s a pleasure to use, takes a few seconds to line up the center regardless of the width of the material.

I also mounted a linear actuator under the table, so simply manipulating a small toggle switch moves the table up and down.

Attachments

• 88973C49-F861-494F-ABBA-BEB420E11AAE.jpeg
    88973C49-F861-494F-ABBA-BEB420E11AAE.jpeg
    242.3 KB · Views: 15
  • 647C29AF-953A-4AE7-A548-1E0FBD565D8A.jpeg
    647C29AF-953A-4AE7-A548-1E0FBD565D8A.jpeg
    635.3 KB · Views: 13
It's unfortunate that he had the accident, due to any cause. Have to give him kudos for finishing the job "live". He could have just reshot the video later and not showed any mistakes. I have no opinion on cause, because I didn't watch it yet. Lapses in attention do happen, and sometimes bad things occur. Let's hope the experience is a lesson to all of us to be on our game when in the shop. If you are not attentive or are distracted, you shouldn't be operating machinery. JMHO.

He knew better and admitted it.
I think getting in a hurry is our biggest hurtle to overcome regarding shop safety.
In intermediate school (1970 metal shop) I learned all about the force and strength of a drill press. I've respected all machinery since.

Last edited:
I have pretty much abandoned my drill press for metal, and go to the mill instead, where clamping is natural…I’ve never ever been tempted to hand hold any operation in the mill.

Back